With support from a SARE grant, The Savana Institute created an "Understanding Agroforestry" fact sheet series. Users can download free one-page descriptions of five common agroforestry practices.
- Alley Cropping: The cultivation of crops in the alleys between regularly spaced rows of trees or shrubs.
- Silvopasture: The intentional integration of trees, pasture, and livestock, managed as a single system.
- Windbreaks: Strips of trees and shrubs designed to enhance crop or livestock production while providing conservation benefits.
- Riparian Buffers: Strips of permanent vegetation alongside a stream, lake, or wetland.
- Forest Farming: The cultivation of specialty crops under existing forest canopies.
Want more information? See the related SARE grant(s) ONC18-049, Agroforestry Education using the Collective Experience of Pioneer Farmers .