To install/add a new printer to a computer running Windows 7, you do not have to be logged in as the administrator.
Before you begin, you will need the printer's IP address. An example of an IP address looks like: 10.16.xxx.22x
- The "x's" are numbers that are different depending on your county.
If you can't find the IP address of your printer, or need help finding it, feel free to contact the EIT Support Hotline. You can contact the hotline by calling (515) 294-1725 or emailing email@example.com.
Once you have the printer's IP address, follow the steps below.
1. Click the start button in the bottom left hand corner of your screen.
2. Click on: "Devices and Printers"
3. Click on: "Add a printer"
4. Click on: "Add a local printer"
5. Select the bullet point: "Create a new port:"
6. Change the type of port by clicking on "Local Port" which opens a dropdown menu and select: "Standard TCP/IP Port" then select next.
7. Enter your printer's IP address in the "Hostname or IP address:" field. The port name will automatically be filled in for you. Also, ensure that the "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use" is checked then click next.
8. Skip this step if the next screen doesn't look like the one below. Otherwise, you can choose to replace or use the currently installed driver. This normally appears if you've previously installed this printer or another printer of the same make and model.
9. If the next screen looks like Image 1, then you can proceed to step 11. Otherwise, if the next screen looks like Image 2, proceed to step 10.
Image 1: Proceed to step 11
Image 2: Proceed to step 10
10. If the screen looks like Image 2 above, your computer doesn't have the printer's driver installed. Select "Windows Update" which might take a while to run. Then, select your printers manufacturer in the Manufacturer column, then find your printer in the Printers column.
If your printer isn't being listed, contact the hotline by calling (515) 294-1725 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
11. At this point, you can name the printer what you would like, or you can leave it as the default. Once you have decided on the printer's name, click Next.
12. Select the bullet point: "Do not share this printer" and then click Next.
13. Congratulations, your new printer has been added! You can now choose to print a test page to ensure everything is working, then click Finish.
1. Open the Start Menu.
2. Type Devices and Printers.
3. Select Devices and Printers.
4. Choose Add a Printer.
5. Choose The printer I wasnt isn't listed.
6. Select Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname and click Next.
7. For Device type choose TCP/IP Device.
8. For Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. The Port name should automatically populate. Click Next.
9.If the computer shows this window, the printer driver obtained succesfully and move to the next step.
If you are presented with this window, you will need to obtain the driver for your printer either online or from the disk that came with the printer.
If you have the disk, insert the disk and select Have disk. Then navigate to the disk and find the .inf file.
If you need to obtain the driver online, go to the printer manufacturer's web site to find the printer's driver.
Once the driver is obtained, click the Have disk button and navigate to the downloaded files and choose the .inf file.
10. Here you can name the printer whatever you'd like.
11. Choose Do no share this printer and click Next.
12. Here you can print a test page to make sure that the printer installed correctly as well as decide whether to make this your default printer.
If you ran into any issues, feel free to contact the EIT Support Hotline. You can contact the hotline by calling (515) 294-1725 or emailing email@example.com.