Getting control of our finances helps us become more confident and secure to plan our lives the way we would like. Building wealth is about being able to make the best choices for ourselves and our families financially. We have to make choices about what to spend, what to invest, and what to save for rainy days.
To assist you with these decisions, we have some helpful tips about your family finances, what to do if you have been laid off work, ideas to use credit wisely, and more. Call us at 1-800-447-1985, email an expert with your question, or use Live Chat to "talk" with a counselor.
- Free Tax Preparation Sites
- Iowa Rental Help - The Iowa Finance Authority (IFA) offers a variety of programs that address a continuum of housing needs, from homeless assistance to multifamily rental and homeownership. In addition to offering statewide affordable housing resources, the Iowa Finance Authority also offers a wide variety of other programs to assist in community development, including the issuance of tax-exempt bonds, providing the lowest cost funds for drinking water and waste water facilities in Iowa and Title Guaranty, offering guaranteed title to real property in Iowa.
- Iowa State University Financial Counseling Clinic
- Human Sciences Extension and Outreach
- Social Security Online
- Investing For Your Future - 11 week home study course by Rutgers Cooperative Extension
- Partnership for Prescription Assistance - The Partnership for Prescription Assistance helps qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage get the medicines by matching them with the right assistance programs. Many will get their medications free or nearly free.
- Consumer Alerts and Factsheets - Federal Communications Commission
- If your credit has been damaged, whether by unforeseen circumstances or poor decisions, it can be easy to get pulled in by companies that offer a quick fix. Visit Experian for some tips on how to repair credit.
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling
- The Mortgage Reports
- National Endowment for Financial Education
- Federal Trade Commission - Consumer Information
- Consumer Information from the Federal Government
- Iowa Workforce Development (previously Job Service)
- Des Moines Register.com - Jobs section
- Register JobsTV on PAX 39 (cable channel 10) Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m.
- Iowa State University Employment Opportunities
- State of Iowa Government Jobs
- Department of Education's Job Site
- Des Moines Help Wanted.com
- Company sites i.e. Principal, John Deere, Wells Fargo, etc.