This series provides helpful answers to many questions about creating a safe and healthy early childhood environment, preparing for an emergency, transporting children, preventing and controlling infectious diseases, handling and storing hazardous materials, giving medication, managing food allergies, creating a safe sleep environment for infants, preventing shaken baby syndrome, understanding child development, supporting cultural diversity, and understanding homelessness.
Intended audience: Early childhood providers, teachers, and directors
Format: Self-paced online series; 12 topics available; view video lessons on a computer, tablet, or smart phone
Certification: Approved for Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS) Child Care Professional Development Credit and by the National Administrator Credential (NAC).
- No cost
- Participate at any time, 24/7
- Choose to complete only one module or the entire series of modules in any order. View a complete description of each module.
- Receive a professional development certificate for each module completed, up to 12 hours total.
Download the promotional flyer for additional information.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Read the Essentials FAQ.
To participate in the online course:
- Read the detailed login instructions.
- Go to the Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Moodle™ login page.
- Create a Moodle account. You will need your DHS Registry ID. HINT – looks like this: your.name@iowaid. Read the detailed instructions on how to create an i-PoWeR account.
Handouts and Resources
- Safety in Your Child Care Environment | Handout | Resource
- Emergency Preparedness | Handout | Resource
- Transportation of Children | Handout | Resource
- Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases | Handout | Resource
- Handling and Storage of Hazardous Materials | Handout | Resource
- Medication in Child Care | Handout | Resource
- Managing Food Allergies | Handout | Resource
- Infant Safe Sleep | Handout | Resource
- Prevention of Shaken Baby Syndrome | Handout | Resource
- Supporting Cultural Diversity | Handout | Resource
- Understanding Homelessness | Handout | Resource
- Understanding Child Development | Handout | Resource
Ages and Stages