COVID-19 resources for our farm, food systems, and business clients
Here are some up-to-date resources to support you in your work with Iowa’s small farms, food systems, and business enterprises during the novel corona virus (COVID-19) pandemic. Our team is currently working from home along with the rest of ISU Extension and Outreach, but please feel free to contact us by email or phone with any questions or suggestions. We’re here to help!
Looking for COVID-19 resources for farm to school and early care settings? Find them here.
This page is updated continuously. Suggestions? Contact Courtney Long, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- COVID-19 Resources for Farms, Food Businesses, and Food Systems Practitioners (FFED team)
- Video resources for distance learning during COVID (FFED team)
- List of COVID-19 issues experts from ISU Extension and Outreach
- ISU Extension and Outreach news releases on COVID-19 topics
- State of Iowa COVID-19 page
- Mental health resources for health care providers
- ISU Food Safety COVID-19 resources page
- USDA COVID-19 update page
- Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship COVID-19 page
- FFED’s Small Farm Sustainability Podcasts are covering COVID-19 topics
- COVID-19 resources from NCAT/ATTRA
- COVID-19 Guidelines for Farmers from Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture
- Novel Coronavirus Prevention & Control for Farms from Cornell University
- Cleaning and Sanitizing on the Farm for COVID – 19 from University of Minnesota Extension
- How to Build a Low-Cost Handwashing Station from University of Minnesota Extension
- Rapid Response Local Foods College (series of COVID-19 webinars for producers) from University of Minnesota Extension
- COVID-19: Employer Guidance and Resources from Western Growers Association
- ISU Center for Ag Law and Taxation (CALT) COVID-19 legal resources for farmers
- Farm Commons (national non-profit) COVID-19 legal resources for farmers
Fruits and vegetables:
- COVID-19 response plan template and FAQ for fruit and vegetable farms from University of Minnesota Extension (includes a free workbook)
- Cornell Farmworker Program Spanish and short videos
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Prevention: A Dozen Things to Know About Leafy Greens from California Department of Agriculture’s Leafy Green Product Handler Marketing Agreement (LGMA)
- Dairy Fact Sheet from Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
- COVID-19 Resources from Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
- Coronavirus Update from National Milk Producers Federation
- Resource Coordination Center for Iowa Livestock Producers from Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
- Direct Marketing Meat from ISU Extension and Outreach Small Farm Sustainability
- Logistics of Online Sales and Shipping Meat (webinar) from Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network
- Online sales platforms an option for direct-market farmers during COVID-19 (and beyond) from FFED
- Direct Sales Software Platforms comparison from National Young Farmers Coalition. Spanish-language version.
- Direct Market Farmer’s Guide from Local Line (Canadian online food sales platform)
- Organic Agriculture Production Concerns Amid COVID-19 from Kathleen Delate, ISU organic specialist/prof. of horticulture & agronomy
- Organic farming podcast series from MOSES (several COVID-19 topics)
Farmers markets + U-pick
- Restrictions on Farmers Markets Eased by Governor (ISU Extension and Outreach, 6-24-20)
- COVID-19 market signage from Iowa Valley RC&D (free downloads)
- List of Iowa farmers markets currently offering online ordering
- Guidance for Iowa Farmers Markets During COVID-19 from Iowa Dept. of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, Iowa Dept. of Inspections and Appeals, Iowa Dept. of Public Health, and ISU Extension and Outreach
- Farmers Market and U-Pick Best Practices and Regulations from ISU Food Safety Team
- How to Build a Low-Cost Handwashing Station from University of Minnesota Extension
- COVID-19 response from Farmers Market Coalition
- COVID-19 Economic Impact on Local Food Markets from National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
- Pennsylvania Direct to Consumer Sales response from Pennsylvania State University
Donation and community gardens
Farm to school & ECE
- COVID-19 Resources + Strategies for Iowa Farm to School and Early Care from Iowa Farm to School and Early Care Network
- Supporting our Communities Through COVID-19 from FoodCorps
- COVID-19 resources from the National Farm to School Network
- Local Food Systems Response to COVID, website from US Agricultural Marketing Service and other partners
- Systemic Solutions for Healthy Food Systems from the Global Alliance for the Future of Food
- Hunger and Nutrition Programs from the National Conference of State Legislatures
- General COVID19 Response resources (Spanish and English resources) from Michigan Food and Farming Systems
- COVID-19 Food Safety Resources (Spanish and English) from NC State Extension
- How COVID-19 Affects Farmers and the Food Chain from Tufts University
- Coronavirus Food Systems Media Articles and Other Resources, ongoing round-up from Vanessa Garcia Polanco, a graduate student at Michigan State University‘s Department of Community Sustainability
- Food Industry Resources from Cornell University Institute for Food Safety
- Economic Impact Assessment: Mitigating Immediate Harmful Impacts of COVID-19 on Farms and Ranches Selling through Local and Regional Food Markets from National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
- USDA Local Food Impact from the USDA Agricultural Marketing Service
- Ready to Open Retail from ISU Extension and Outreach Community Economic Development
- COVID-19 Resources for Communities, Businesses, Local Governments and Non-Profits from ISU Extension and Outreach Community and Economic Development
- Back to Business Iowa podcasts are covering COVID-19 + other topics (from FFED, CED, Iowa SBDC)
- COVID-19 Reopening Guidance from Iowa Dept. of Public Health
- National Restaurant Association COVID-19 resources
- Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers from CDC
- Factsheets for Employees in English and Spanish from CDC
- COVID-19 or Other Public Health Emergencies and the Fair Labor Standards Act Q&A from US Department of Labor
- Resources for Workers Impacted by Coronavirus Layoffs and Lost Wages from MoneyGeek.com
- Emergency COVID-19 Hand Sanitizer Sources in Iowa from ISU CIRAS
- Iowa Business Recovery Assistance from Iowa Economic Development Agency
- Iowa Small Business Relief Fund (coalition of Iowa non-profits)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources from the US Small Business Administration
- Federal Rural Resource Guide from USDA
- Farmers’ Guide to the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program 2 (CFAP 2) from FLAG
- Farmers’ Guide to the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) from Farmers Legal Action Group
- How to Streamline Your CFAP Application from ISU Ag Decision Maker
- Farmers’ Guide to COVID-19 Relief from Farmers Legal Action Group
- COVID-19 Philanthropic Response and Recovery Funds: Food & Agriculture System from Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Funders
- Funds for coronavirus relief from Candid (formerly The Foundation Center and Guidestar)
Request technical assistance
COVID-19 Food Systems Technical Assistance Platform
Institutions and organizations—including farmers, food businesses, cities, schools, state agencies, and nonprofits—are encouraged to share their needs for food systems engagement in regards to COVID-19 responses and/or other on-going efforts.
Please complete this short online form to share your technical assistance needs and be connected with ISU Extension and Outreach staff who can provide assistance on a variety of projects.
Support can range from quick, one-time consultations, to intermediate and long-term support. Examples include:
- Connecting with Iowa food system networks and specialists
- Strategizing, brainstorming, and problem solving
- Food system-based research and assessments, including data interpretation and evaluation
- Technical assistance for community food systems projects, including conceptual design development, project management, etc.
- Supporting coalition development, which may include facilitation support, developing or refocusing a coalition
- Creating a design or community outreach plan for a school or community garden
- Direct to Consumer or mid-tier market development support including: sourcing and purchasing local food into a meal program at a school or early care site, or supporting a farmer to find new opportunities for direct market opportunities
- Understanding impacts and identifying local/national best practices for food systems
COVID-19 response projects will be prioritized at this time. Based on the scope of the project proposal, free consultations may be available while more in-depth and long-term projects may involve the development of a fee for service agreement.
Please let us know how we can best support you during these challenging times. For questions and/or more information on this effort, please contact program coordinator Chelsea Krist, email@example.com.
Ag workers + employers
- Agriculture Workers and Employers—Interim Guidance from CDC and the U.S. Department of Labor (CDC). Farm operations vary across regions of the country. This guidance provides a template of action to protect agriculture workers from coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Agricultural employers can adapt these recommendations to protect workers at their particular work sites or in specific work operations.
- Agricultural Employer Checklist for Creating a COVID-19 Assessment and Control Plan (CDC). To prevent and slow the spread of COVID-19, agricultural employers can use this checklist to create a COVID-19 assessment and control plan for applying specific preparation, prevention, and management measures. This checklist has been developed based on the Agriculture Workers and Employers Interim Guidance from CDC and the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Implementing Safety Practices for Critical Infrastructure Workers Who May Have Had Exposure to a Person with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 (CDC).
- Testing Strategy for Coronavirus (COVID-19) in High-Density Critical Infrastructure Workplaces after a COVID-19 Case Is Identified (CDC). This document presents different testing strategy options for exposed co-workers when public health organizations and employers determine testing is needed to help support existing disease control measures.
- Shared and Congregate Housing (CDC). Guidance for both operators and residents of shared or congregate housing facilities.
Fraudulent Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Products from the US Food and Drug Administration