Philosophy for 4-H Record Keeping
The purpose of 4-H record keeping is to teach how to keep records, which is an important life skill. Record keeping is an ongoing process that does not end when the 4-H year ends. Youth are encouraged to select from a variety of alternatives to meet their individual record keeping needs and learning styles. You can find this information in our publication Iowa 4-H Record Keeping Philosophy 4H 95 (in Revision).
Objectives for 4-H Record Keeping
- To learn how to set goals, how to make plans for action, and how to decide how well you did (evaluation).
- To learn the skills of record keeping and organization to use now and in the future.
- To learn to communicate and summarize.
- To learn responsibility by completing a task.
- To evaluate information that will market personal skills through future resumes and application forms.
Guidelines for 4-H Record Keeping
All 4-H mebers are encouraged to develop a record keeping system that includes:
- Recordkeeping for one or more projects.
- Setting goals for your project areas and exhibits.
- Goal Setting: Writing Project Area and Exhibit Goals 4H 5511 can guide you.
- You can use a Goal Calendar 4H 5001 if you wish.
- Summarize your learning annually
- You can write a 4-H story.
- You can use the Yearly Member Summary 4H 5011.
- Reflect and evaluate your journey.
- You can use Yearly Self-Evaluation 4H 5012 as a self-evaluation or as a guide for a member-mentor discussion.
- Project Records document your goals and achievements in a project area. Choose one for each project area you wish to record information on.
- Project Worksheets are an optional tool that can help you plan or track aspects of your project.
Formatting Your Recordkeeping System
You can use a traditional paper recordkeeping system or use the following formats or elements in your recordkeeping system.
- Video or Audio Recordings (4H 0097A) (in Revision)
- Portfolio (4H 0097B) (in Revision)
- Computerized form (in Revision)
4-H record keeping should reflect the 4-H member's goals, accomplishments, and future plans
Project Area Recordkeeping Forms
- Breeding Worksheet Basic (4H 0229JR)
- Breeding Worksheet Experienced (4H 0229WS)
- Ewe Lifetime Record(4H 0229DWS)
- Swine Lifetime Record (4H 0229FWS)
- Beef Lifetime Record (4H 0229BWS)
Dairy and Dairy Goat
- Dairy Worksheet (4H 0392WS)
- Dairy Cow Lifetime Record (4H 0393WS)
- Dairy Goat Lifetime Record (4H 0393AWS)
Dog Lifetime Record (4H 0402WS)
Horse and Pony
- Horse/Pony Worksheet (4H 0512WS)
- Market Worksheet Basic (4H 0228 JR)
- Market Worksheet Experienced (4H 0228 WS)
- 4-H Poultry Project Worksheet (4H 0371)
- Laying Flock Worksheet (4H 0653WS)
- 4-H Rabbit Project Worksheet (4H 0372)