Philosophy for 4-H Record Keeping
The purpose of 4-H record keeping is to teach how to keep records, which is an important life skill. Record keeping is an ongoing process that does not end when the 4-H year ends. Youth are encouraged to select from a variety of alternatives to meet their individual record keeping needs and learning styles.
Objectives for 4-H Record Keeping
- To learn how to set goals, how to make plans for action, and how to decide how well you did (evaluation).
- To learn the skills of record keeping and organization to use now and in the future.
- To learn to communicate and summarize.
- To learn responsibility by completing a task.
- To evaluate information that will market personal skills through future resumes and application forms.
Guidelines for 4-H Record Keeping
All 4-H'ers are encouraged to develop a record keeping system that includes:
- Recordkeeping for one or more projects.
- Completion of Yearly 4-H Summary (4H 96) or a 4-H Story.
- Member self-evaluation and/or a member-mentor conference.
- Project Records document your goals and achievements in a project area (choose one per project area):
- Project Worksheets are an optional tool that help you plan or track aspects of your project.
Formatting Your Recordkeeping System
You can use a traditional paper recordkeeping system or use the following formats or elements in your recordkeeping system:
- Video or Audio Recordings (4H 97A) (Use 4-H96 A, B or C as a reference)
- Portfolio (4H 97B) (Use 4-H 96 A, B or C as a reference)
- Computerized form (Use 4 H 96 A, B or C as a reference)
4-H record keeping should reflect the 4-Her's goals, accomplishments, and future plans
Project Area Recordkeeping Forms
- Breeding Worksheet Basic (4H 229JR)
- Breeding Worksheet Experienced (4H 229WS)
- Ewe Lifetime Record(4H 229DWS)
- Swine Lifetime Record (4H 229FWS)
- Beef Lifetime Record (4H 229BWS)
Dairy and Dairy Goat
- Dairy Worksheet (4H 392WS)
- Dairy Cow Lifetime Record (4H 393WS)
- Dairy Goat Lifetime Record (4H 393AWS)
Dog Lifetime Record (4H 402WS)
Horse and Pony
- Horse/Pony Worksheet (4H 512WS)
- Market Worksheet Basic (4H 228JR)
- Market Worksheet Experienced (4H 228WS)
- 4-H Poultry Project Worksheet
- Laying Flock Worksheet (4H 653WS)
- 4-H Rabbit Project Worksheet