Woodworking is a valuable skill for a hobby, household repairs, or even a career. Learn about types of wood, uses for various kinds of wood, how to make connections and joints, safety tips, common tools and project ideas from the very simple to impressive!
- Develop skills in the selection and uses of various types of wood and wood products.
- Develop skills in the selection, care, and safe use of woodworking technologies including tools and machines.
- Learn about and develop responsible attitudes toward the science, engineering, technology and math behind the woodworking process
- Develop problem solving and logical reasoning skills.
Ideas for Project Area Learning!
- Learn safety rules, tool safety settings and how to use safety gear
- Identify what different woods look and feel like
- Learn how to connect wood using glue and nails
- Finish wood projects by sanding and painting
- Learn to measure and cut angles
- Learn the importance of proper sanding and finish application
- Discover joining, clamping and connecting techniques
- Using stain to emphasize the grain of wood
- Understand difference between wood, laminates and veneers
- Explore woodworking careers and entrepreneurial opportunities
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Conduct a wood finishing seminar
- Give a safety demonstration for safe woodworking tool usage
- Develop an exhibit comparing different wood finishes
- Build a bird feeder for a neighbor
- Build toys out of wood for a homeless shelter
- Join a Habitat for Humanity build
- Conduct a basic building workshop for a younger club
- Organize your club to assist older community members winterize their home
- Be a project helper for younger members in woodworking
- Make and finish a piece of furniture
- Make a design for something you would like to build - a table, a cabinet, or even a small building
- Create a poster on safety precautions when working with wood and tools
- Develop an exhibit on woodworking tool(s) and what they are used for
- Create an exhibit comparing wood to synthetic replacements