The 4-H swine program is part of the animal science project. The program will help you learn about the selection, production, breeding and management of swine. If you have already signed up for this 4-H project, come on in and get started. If you haven't signed up yet, contact your county 4-H office and become a member today.
- Learn the basic principles of animal science by owning, caring for, and keeping records on one or more head of livestock.
- Gain knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices.
- Learn nutritive value of swine products and promote their use.
List of Project Area Ideas!
- Prepare to show your swine at the fair.
- Outline a pig health care plan.
- Plan swine breeding.
- Learn about swine genetics.
- Understand swine management practices.
- Learn how to judge.
- Formulate a swine ration.
- Plan and conduct a pork promotional activity.
- "Adopt" a younger person and help him or her explore the swine project.
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Give a tail docking demonstration.
- Design a poster on parts of the animal.
- Participate in a judging contest giving oral reasons.
- Volunteer your baby pig for Ag. in the Classroom at school.
- Participate in a 'food-for-life' project donating to food pantries.
- Volunteer to help at the county livestock judging event at the swine station.
- Lead a swine showmanship session prior to your county fair.
- Lead other 4-H members in participating in local pork producer events.
- Teach others how to safely handle swine at a FSQA session.
Participate in the 4-H swine show.
Exhibit, notebook or display showing what you've learned in a swine-related topic.
- Nutritive value of pork
- Hog by-products
- Daily routine in caring for animals
- Section and how to judge a market or breeding hog
- Explaining how to read pig ear notches
Swine Show Health Info.
2020 Swine Health
2019 Health Requirement Update – NEW JUNE 2019
- County Fair Procedure Recommendations
- County Fair Biosecurity Best Practices
- National Pork Board PEDV Resources
- Exhibitor Recommendations for Weigh-Ins
- Volunteer Recommendations for Weigh-Ins
Fair Health Materials
Fair Show Reporting Info.
- Fair Application Form
- Fair Reporting Form
- House File 557
- Exhibition Rules
- Connect Recording
- FAQ's Page
Weigh-In/Tagging Procedure for County & State Fair Shows
- Livestock County Tagging Procedure - NEW 2020
- Swine Tagging 2021 - NEW PROCEDURE
- DNA Punch Tag Application Steps
- DNA Punch (vial containers) How-To-Video
- DNA Punch Applicator Instructions
- Ear Notching Help Sheet
- Video (see bottom of webpage)
Premise ID information is on the Livestock ID page
4-H Swine DNA Tagging Procedure (for DNA tags 2019 and before)