Rabbit RHDV2 Information - posted June 2020
In the rabbit project you can learn about selection and raising your animals, but also dive into health issues, management practices and careers!
- Learn the basic principles of animal science by owning, caring for, and keeping records on one or more head of rabbits.
- Explore knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices.
- Investigate marketing, project expansion and how you can start a career in the rabbit business.
Ideas for Project Area Learning!
- Develop a rabbit care management plan
- Identify rabbit equipment and its uses
- Learn proper feeding techniques
- Learn to judge rabbits and give oral reasons
- Learn about diseases and environment concerns
- Tattoo your rabbits
- Determine pregnancy and palpation techniques
- Develop and maintain a rabbit pedigree system
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Design a poster on parts of the animal
- Participate in a judging contest and give oral reasons
- Explain the use of rabbits for meat production
- Volunteer your rabbit(s) for a community activity (i.e., nursing home, ag activity, etc.)
- Hand out food samples at your local grocery store
- Volunteer to help at the county fair rabbit show
- Teach others how to safely handle rabbits
- Lead a rabbit selection and feeding clinic
- Lead a tattoo clinic and project workshop
Participate in the 4-H rabbit show
- Standard bred rabbits (Commercial and Fancy)
- Market rabbits (Meat pen, Single fryer, Roaster)
- Presentations and posters
Consider and exhibit, notebook or display showing what you've learned in a rabbit-related topic
- Feeding rations
- Constructing a nest box
- How to properly tattoo a rabbit