The 4-H poultry program is part of the animal science project. The program will help you learn about chickens from the egg to the table. Get involved in embryology, growing and managing a small flock of chickens. If you have already signed up for this 4-H project, come on in and get started. If you haven't signed up yet, contact your county 4-H office and become a member today.
- Learn the basic principles of animal science by owning, caring for, and keeping records on one or more head of poultry.
- Explore knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices.
- Investigate current issues facing the industry and how you can start a career in the poultry business.
Ideas for Project Area Learning!
- Produce a healthy and safe meat product
- Learn proper feeding techniques
- Describe signs of a healthy bird
- Learn different housing systems
- Investigate DNA and genetics
- Discover proper food safety techniques from farm to table
- Explore the difference between class, breed and variety
- Discover how eggs are made
- Compare poultry carcasses and grading
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Design a poster on parts of the animal
- Participate in a judging contest giving oral reasons
- Explain the cuts of meat and how to prepare them
- Volunteer your bird for a community petting zoo
- Hand out food samples at your local grocery store
- Volunteer to help at the county fair poultry show
- Invite other 4-H members to tour your farm
- Teach others how to safely handle poultry
- Lead a poultry selection and feeding clinic
Participate in the 4-H poultry show
- Breeding birds
- Market broilers
Consider an exhibit, notebook or display showing what you've learned in a poultry-related topic
- Feeding rations
- Poultry by-products
- Daily routine in caring for animals
- Developing a breeding herd
Poultry Health Info
- County Fair Poultry Show Registration
- Market Broiler Care & Management
- USDA Poultry Health Publications
Avian Influenza - 2015
- Center for Disease Control
- Department of Agriculture - Avian Flu
- Why No Poultry Displays (pdf)
- Avian Flu and Birds Facts (pdf)
- Avian Flu and People Facts (pdf)
- 2019 PT-Testing Waiver Letter
- Pullorum Testing School
- Registration is now open for the 2019 Poultry Blood Testing School, to be held on Saturday, April 13, 2019, at Iowa State University's College of Veterinary Medicine. Please visit this page for more information: http://www.iowapoultry.com/pt-class
- What is Pullorum-typhoid?
- 2016 NPIP Rules Pub.
- Health Rules & FAQ's
- P-T Certification Info.
- PT Tester List
- Protecting Your Family
- Salmonella - Baby poultry safety
- Salmonella Outbreak News Release - May 2014