The 4-H poultry program is part of the animal science project. The program will help you learn about chickens from the egg to the table. Get involved in embryology, growing and managing a small flock of chickens. If you have already signed up for this 4-H project, come on in and get started. If you haven't signed up yet, contact your county 4-H office and become a member today.
- Learn the basic principles of animal science by owning, caring for, and keeping records on one or more head of poultry.
- Explore knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices.
- Investigate current issues facing the industry and how you can start a career in the poultry business.
Ideas for Project Area Learning!
- Produce a healthy and safe meat product
- Learn proper feeding techniques
- Describe signs of a healthy bird
- Learn different housing systems
- Investigate DNA and genetics
- Discover proper food safety techniques from farm to table
- Explore the difference between class, breed and variety
- Discover how eggs are made
- Compare poultry carcasses and grading
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Design a poster on parts of the animal
- Participate in a judging contest giving oral reasons
- Explain the cuts of meat and how to prepare them
- Volunteer your bird for a community petting zoo
- Hand out food samples at your local grocery store
- Volunteer to help at the county fair poultry show
- Invite other 4-H members to tour your farm
- Teach others how to safely handle poultry
- Lead a poultry selection and feeding clinic
Participate in the 4-H poultry show
- Breeding birds
- Market broilers
Consider an exhibit, notebook or display showing what you've learned in a poultry-related topic
- Feeding rations
- Poultry by-products
- Daily routine in caring for animals
- Developing a breeding herd
Poultry Health Info
- County Fair Poultry Show Registration
- Market Broiler Care & Management
- USDA Poultry Health Publications
Avian Influenza - 2015
- Center for Disease Control
- Department of Agriculture - Avian Flu
- Why No Poultry Displays (pdf)
- Avian Flu and Birds Facts (pdf)
- Avian Flu and People Facts (pdf)
- What is Pullorum-typhoid?
- 2016 NPIP Rules Pub.
- Health Rules & FAQ's
- P-T Certification Info.
- PT Tester List
- Protecting Your Family
- Salmonella - Baby poultry safety
- Salmonella Outbreak News Release - May 2014