This 4-H project is designed to help you explore the world of photography. From learning about camera equipment to creating great images and sharing what you have learned with others, you are bound to love photography!
- Discover how to make fascinating photographs
- Learn about photography as an art, a science and a communication tool
- Observe and enjoy your surroundings in a photographic world
- Explore photography as a hobby or profession
Ideas for Project Area Learning!
- Get to know your camera
- Try various lighting techniques
- Study photo composition
- Use shutter speeds and t-stops (aperture)
- Adjust the depth of field
- Take candid photos to make a photograph of a moment in time
- Use wide-angle and telephoto lenses
- Use light meter readings
- Use symmetry, shape, pattern, and texture to make creative photographs
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Tell your friends about the different types of cameras
- Interview a professional photographer
- Demonstrate how to properly present your photographs
- Photograph your club activities and make an album to share
- Volunteer to make photos of a community event
- Help archive historical photos
- Show your friends how to create trick photography
- Arrange for a guest photographer to present to your club
- Organize a photography event for a local organization or your school
- Identify the parts of a camera
- Select, mount, matte a photograph
- Use a computer to edit photos
- Present a poster about matting and framing
- Give a presentation showing how to edit images
Digital Photography Exhibit
The addition of this class is intended to provide a different photography exhibition experience for 4-H members. It also serves to provide legitimacy to on-line galleries as a medium for photography exhibition. Additionally, the class may reduce barriers for some 4-H’ers who may not have ready access to matting and mounting expertise or materials. See Combined ISF 4-H Exhibits General Rules and Class Descriptions, with special rules, for county fairbooks. Photography & Digital Photography use same Photo Label and Evaluation.