The Mechanics & Design project examines a range of areas linked to practical applications of power, energy, and electricity as well as structural and mechanical engineering. The project includes practical applications based on understanding the basic principles of these fields. Experience the technology firsthand while increasing technical and scientific literacy, communications and decision-making skills..
- Develop problem solving and logical reasoning skills.
- Improve communication and teamwork skills by working the way scientists and engineers do - in teams..
- Gain experience in problem solving and decision-making using science process skills.
- Develop knowledge and skills related to the design, construction, and repair of structural and mechanical technologies.
Ideas for Project Area Learning!
- Learn about safety and equipment used in welding, engines and motors
- Learn about electricity and electronics
- Identify and distinguish between small engines and motors in your home
- Learn the different types of circuits and how to construct each type
- Diagnose an engine problem how to repair it
- Experiment with different welds and beads for joints for constructing a product
- Restore, repair, or modify an engine or drive system of a tractor
- Design and build a machine to address a need in your home or farm
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Present safety information related to mechanical systems
- Demonstrate the workings of a mechanical system
- Teach how to construct or repair a mechanical system
- Promote safety related mechanical systems in your community
- Do a small engine repair for the community
- Check friends’ homes for electrical safety issues
- Organize a safety workshop
- Organize a lawnmower tune-up clinic
- Host a safe/responsible driving presentation
- Display comparing properties of gasoline and diesel engines
- Design a circuit
- Electricity safety poster/display
- Tractor restoration (body)
- Tractor safety poster [to keep in the same form----Construct (or create or display) a safety poster]
- Prepare welding project