Horse and Pony is an exciting 4-H project area because you can participate whether you own a hours or not! Discover all the aspects about raising and riding horses.
- Appreciate riding as recreation
- Learn horsemanship skills and understand breeding, training, and raising of horses as a business
- Acquire skills in horse management by owning and being responsible for an animal
Ideas for Project Area Learning!
- Understand horse reproduction parts
- Learn about genetics and heredity of horses
- Learn the function of different horse tack
- Riding patterns
- Communicate with your horse
- Investigate different horse diseases
- Learn how to mount and dismount safely
- Practice horsemanship maneuvers
- Understand the quarter's system
Share What You Learn with Others!
- Present about parts of a horse
- Send a letter to the editor describing your opinion regarding an ethical horse situation
- Present a riding safety session at your county 4-H workouts prior to county fair
- Assist with the 4-H horse show at the county fair
- Ask friends to always wear a helmet when riding horses
- Explore therapeutic riding and horse rescue assistance opportunities
- Lead a trail ride for your fellow 4-H horse project members
- Organize a tack swap for 4-H members
- Conduct a show horse grooming clinic
- Create a horse first aid kit
- Horse life cycle poster
- Create a scrapbook or collage of photos from your horse project
- Present a horse using "Quarter System"
- Display of horse diseases