In early 2007, an advisory board was established for the Midwest Grape and Wine Industry Institute. The role of the board is to serve as an advisory panel to the director. The board’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to: advise the director on establishing program (research, education, outreach and service) priorities; provide input in work planning; advise on structure of operations, policies and procedures; assist in fund raising and budget allocations; and assist with program evaluation.
The board includes representatives from Iowa State University and other educational institutions, Iowa grape and wine industry members, the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, and the Iowa Economic Development Authority.
Officers are elected annually.
Iowa State University stakeholder representatives
- Dr. Jeffery Iles, Chair, ISU Horticulture Department, Ames, IA
- Dr. Mark Rasmussen, Director Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, Ames, IA
- Joe Hannan, Field Specialist, ISU Extension, Ames, IA
- Dr. Jay Harmon, VP Extension Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Dr. James Schrader, Agriculture Specialist, Department of Horticulture, Ames IA
Other educational institution representatives
- Dr. Robert Denson, President, Des Moines Area Community College, Ankeny, IA
- Andy Hrasky, President Iowa Wine Growers Association, Owner of Prairie Crossing Vineyard & Winery, Treynor, IA
- Ron Mark, Iowa Wine Growers Association, Owner of Summerset Winery, Indianola, IA
- Chris Larson, Iowa Wine Growers Association, Owner of Compass Hill Vineyard, Winterset IA
- Bob Wersen, Iowa Wine Growers Association, Owner of Tassel Ridge Winery, Leighton, IA (Term end Fall 2013)
- Paul Tabor, Iowa Wine Growers Association, Owner of Tabor Home Winery, Baldwin, IA
- Doug Bakker, Iowa Wine Growers Association, Owner of Madison County Winery, St. Charlies, IA
State development agency representatives
- Nicole Eilers, Iowa Economic Development Authority, Des Moines, IA
- Paul Ovrom, Iowa Secretary of Agriculture, Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, Des Moines, IA
Upcoming Advisory Board Meetings:
To be scheduled Oct/Nov, 2019
Meetings are open to audit by all interested parties. Please contact us if you would like to attend.