In early 2007, an advisory board was established for the Midwest Grape and Wine Industry Institute. The role of the board is to serve as an advisory panel to the director. The board’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to: advise the director on establishing program (research, education, outreach and service) priorities; provide input in work planning; advise on structure of operations, policies and procedures; assist in fund raising and budget allocations; and assist with program evaluation.
The board includes representatives from Iowa State University and other educational institutions, Iowa grape and wine industry members, the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, and the Iowa Economic Development Authority.
Officers are elected annually.
Iowa State University stakeholder representatives
- Dr. Jeffery Iles, Chair, ISU Horticulture Department, Ames, IA
- Dr. John Lawrence, Associate Dean, ISU Extension, Ames, IA
- Dr. Ruth MacDonald, Chair, ISU Food Science & Human Nutrition, Ames, IA
- Dr. Mark Rasmussen, Director Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, Ames, IA
- Craig Tordsen, Program Specialist, ISU Extension, Ames, IA
- Michael L. White, Field Specialist, ISU Extension Indianola, IA
Other educational institution representatives
- Dr. Robert Denson, President, Des Moines Area Community College, Ankeny, IA
- Doug Grave, President of Western Iowa Grape Growers Association and owner of Victorian Vineyard, Glenwood, IA
- Ron Mark, Iowa Wine Growers Association and owner of Summerset Winery, Indianola, IA (Term end Fall 2013)
- Mike Pence, President of Iowa Wine Growers Association and owner of Hartland Harvest Winery, Fort Madison, IA (Term end Fall 2013)
- Bob Wersen, Iowa Wine Growers Association and owner of Tassel Ridge Winery, Leighton, IA (Term end Fall 2013)
- Mike Vincent, Iowa Wine Growers Association and owner of Wooden Wheel Vineyard, Keota, IA
- Zach Bott, Iowa Wine Growers Association and co-owner Fireside Winery, Marengo, IA
State development agency representatives
- Colleen Murphy, Iowa Economic Development Authority, Des Moines, IA
- Bill Northey, Iowa Secretary of Agriculture, Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, Des Moines, IA
Upcoming Advisory Board Meetings:
To be scheduled Oct/Nov, 2015
Meetings are open to audit by all interested parties. Please contact us if you would like to attend.