|John D. Lawrence
Extension and Outreach
Ames, IA 50011
As Iowa State University Vice President for Extension and Outreach, John Lawrence leads about 1,200 faculty and staff who support what Iowans value: a strong Iowa. ISU Extension and Outreach engages all Iowans in research, education, and extension experiences to address real-life challenges and prepare for a thriving future.
Vice President Lawrence works across the university to provide programs that share information and technology to educate and innovate. He provides advice and counsel to the Provost and the President on ISU Extension and Outreach issues, and he also is the Director of Cooperative Extension for Iowa State University.
Vice President Lawrence is a professor of economics and has served Iowa State University in many roles since 1991. He was raised on a crop and livestock farm in southwest Iowa, and he truly believes in engaging Iowans and building partnerships for a strong Iowa.
- Ph.D. Agricultural Economics, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, 1989
- M.S. Economics, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1986
- B.S. Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1984
- Iowa State University Vice President for Extension and Outreach, 2018 - present
- Interim ISU Vice President for Extension and Outreach, 2017-2018
- Associate Dean of Extension and Outreach, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and Director, Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension, February 2010 – March 2017
- Interim Director, Iowa State University Center for Agricultural Law and Taxation, January 2016 – March 2017
- Interim Director, Iowa State University Beginning Farmer Center, July 2012 – March 2017
- Interim Director, Iowa Nutrient Research Center at Iowa State University, July 2013 – March 2017
- Assistant Director, Iowa Agriculture and Home Economics Experiment Station, July 2004 – January 2010
- Director, Iowa Beef Center, July 1998 - January 2010
- ISU Extension Livestock Economist and Professor, August 2004 - January 2010
- ISU Extension Livestock Economist and Associate Professor, June 1997 – August 2004
- ISU Extension Livestock Economist and Assistant Professor, July 1991 - June 1997
- Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minnesota, Extension Economist in Marketing and Assistant Professor, Jan. 1990 - June 1991