This month: Extension awards deadline, using survey data to support services, the October goodbye and welcome list, and other FYIs.
Extension awards deadline is February 1
From Brenda Allen, manager, Professional Development
It may be hard to believe, but our annual staff award season is upon us. This year’s award deadline has moved up to allow more time for evaluation and turnaround before the event. All awards applications and nominations must be submitted for consideration by end of day Thursday, February 1.
- The ISU Extension and Outreach Awards webpage is updated with information about each award opportunity for 2024. There were slight changes to some of the award opportunities this year so please look over the forms carefully. Each recognition opportunity includes a rubric for evaluation and a sample submission. Award applications and nominations may come from anyone within ISU Extension and Outreach.
- There will be a Zoom webinar Tuesday, December 5, at 10:00 a.m. to share tips to write a successful award application or nomination. The recording will also be posted on the ISU Extension and Outreach Awards webpage for later viewing. This is a great way to help ensure programs and efforts you’re a part of are shared with the larger organization. It’s also a meaningful way to show your appreciation for efforts of your colleagues throughout the year.
- All honorees will be recognized at the ISU Extension and Outreach Awards Program, Tuesday, March 5, at the Gateway Center with a reception following.
- Also, mark your calendar for the ISU Extension and Outreach Annual Conference, Wednesday, March 6.
Virtual education tech tip: Using survey data to support services
From Kris Baldwin, educational technology resources specialist
During the area meetings this fall, 220 staff members responded to a survey on the use of artificial intelligence (AI). Writing or completing surveys may not be a favorite activity; however, a survey tends to be one of the quickest and easiest ways to gather information about a topic from a large group of people. This survey, for example, told the AI Working Group for ISU Extension and Outreach that a majority of respondents (60%) were not yet using AI tools, but many (74%) would like to know more.
The survey data is guiding the AI Working Group as we curate and create resources for the Virtual Education AI page, including AI best practices to address concerns about legal and ethical use, accuracy of information, respect for data security and privacy, the risk of harmful or biased content, and the importance of human interaction and trust. We thank all of you who participated in the survey and provided the data.
Do you need to collect survey data? Beginning with the end in mind will drive your software choice. Most of the time, using Qualtrics is your best option due to its integration with MyData. However, you also have the option to use other Iowa State supported resources like Microsoft Forms or free online tools like JotForm and AirTable. Whatever option you choose, the data you gain can provide direction to help you meet the needs of those you serve.
For your information
- Goodbye … and welcome, October 2023: Please review this list of individuals who left ISU Extension and Outreach in the past month, as well as those who have joined our organization.
- ISU Department of Public Safety encourages everyone to review university policy regarding severe weather and emergency closings.
- “¡Salir Adelante! Pathways for Our Future” is featured in the New Technologies for Ag Extension 2022-2023 Yearbook from the national Extension Foundation. The program received a $10,000 foundation grant to support building partnerships to grow Salir Adelante, a culturally tailored, research-based and evidence-informed curriculum that promotes career and college readiness among Latino youth and their families across Iowa. You can read the Q&A with Kimberly Greder, family wellbeing state specialist who leads Salir Adelante, in the online New Technologies for Ag Extension yearbook.
- You still can complete the internal brand use survey to share your thoughts and provide feedback about representing the ISU Extension and Outreach brand in your materials and communications. The survey will remain open until November 21.
Office of the Vice President for Extension and Outreach | firstname.lastname@example.org | 515-294-6675