Message from Debra Sellers, on behalf of the Office of the Vice President
Iowa State’s goal is to ensure campus is ready for fall semester beginning the week of Aug. 3, as President Wintersteen stated in her July 2 message. The ISU Extension and Outreach leadership team will be returning to our campus offices next Monday, July 13. In the coming weeks many extension faculty and staff also will be returning to campus as their units and departments follow university guidelines and put plans in place for clean and safe workspaces. Our greatest concern with reopening campus offices, as well as county offices, is people’s health and safety.
Town hall follow-up: Transforming our organization
The recording of the July 1 town hall is now available. Please continue to send questions and comments via the virtual suggestion box on the Office of the Vice President website. Also please review the following materials that were mentioned during the town hall:
- Two-Way Scorecard Communication Tool.
- Curriculum Review Process.
- County Services and Council Member Calendar of Trainings.
- County office reopening plans.
- New region map including regional directors and office locations.
- Watch the new video, “Here for You.” It is part of an ad campaign that many of our counties will be launching this summer.
Second Monday Live
Second Monday Live, 10 a.m., July 13 at https://connect.extension.iastate.edu/isueo, will feature updates related to professional development and STEM.
- Alison DePenning, Professional Development program coordinator, and Cindy Gannon, advancement specialist, will introduce Things You Need to Know on Day One, a new self-directed, virtual orientation to ISU Extension and Outreach. New employees can complete the virtual orientation prior to attending face-to-face New Staff Orientation. Seasoned staff may also view to refresh or test their knowledge of ISU Extension and Outreach. Carol Heaverlo, director of Professional Development, will introduce the Professional Development Catalog for Managers and Supervisors, macro and micro learning opportunities available through Linkedin Learning.
- Sara Nelson, state STEM lead and assistant director for education and outreach for the Iowa Space Grant Consortium, will explain how ISGC supports research, education, and outreach programs aligned with NASA’s mission. (The ISGC is primarily funded through a NASA Training Grant.) She also will highlight some of NASA’s current work and give a prize to one lucky participant.
Update: Open for Iowa
- The Open for Iowa Committee asks that you please respond to the Open for Iowa survey by noon on Friday, July 10. Your response to the three-question survey, which takes approximately 5-10 minutes to complete, will help the committee identify valuable next steps for their work.
- Visit the Open for Iowa website to review three updated training and guidance documents: Staff Friendly Office Return, Face Covering Training and Guidance, and COVID-19 Contact Information Training and Guidance.
- Cloth face coverings, as well as disposable face coverings, are available on the Extension Store. Cleaning supplies and other items also are available. Sign in to see all the products available in the Covid-19 category or use Covid in the search bar at the top of the page.
Area-wide meetings set
The area-wide meeting map is posted on the Office of the Vice President website. These areas are for meeting purposes only. The fall meetings will be held virtually on the following dates:
- South central, Sept. 15.
- Southeast, Sept. 16.
- Northwest, Sept. 21.
- Northeast, Sept. 25.
- Southwest, Sept. 30.
- North central, Sept. 28.
The November-December meetings will be in person on the following dates:
- Northwest, Nov. 24.
- Southwest, Dec. 1.
- Northeast, Dec. 2.
- Southeast, Dec. 3.
- South central, Dec. 4.
- North central, to be determined.
Debra M. Sellers
Associate Dean, College of Human Sciences
Director, Human Sciences Extension and Outreach