Nearly one in five Americans provides care for someone with health or functional needs. Caregiving can be rewarding, but it also can be stressful, leading to poor health, mental distress, and less life satisfaction for the caregiver. That is why ISU Extension and Outreach has been delivering Powerful Tools for Caregivers since 1998. The program provides caregivers with the tools they need to take care of themselves. Now Iowa State is taking on a new leadership role with this internationally recognized, evidence-based program. Did you know?
- For 23 years our human sciences specialists have worked collaboratively with the Powerful Tools for Caregivers team, based in Portland, Oregon, to train 35 organizations and more than 260 class leaders in Iowa and other states.
- Currently, more than 50 class leader trainings are offered throughout the U.S. annually, and 4,600 individuals are certified class leaders in 40 states, Canada, and Korea.
- On July 15 at 1 p.m. a launch party will celebrate the program’s July 16 transition to Iowa State leadership. The launch will take place virtually. Register online to receive the launch Zoom link.
In this new leadership role, ISU Extension and Outreach will build on existing research and manage materials for the program, according to Donna Donald, a human sciences specialist who is assisting with the transition, and Susan DeBlieck , the extension program specialist overseeing the program. The launch party will celebrate the legacy of Powerful Tools for Caregivers and provide information about how to become a participant or class leader to support caregivers in local communities. To learn more, go to https://www.powerfultoolsforcaregivers.org/ or email Susan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To help you prepare for safe workshops, day camps, county fairs, and other in-person activities, the ISU Extension Store is now offering gallons of hand sanitizer for free (you only pay for shipping). For an even better deal (because shipping those gallon bottles is expensive), visit the store in person to pick up your order; walk-in visitors are now welcome. In addition, other COVID-19 supplies are available at discounted rates. Hand sanitizer and other COVID-19 supplies are available to staff only; you must sign in to the Store to view and order these products. Order online, call 515-294-5247, or visit the store on campus at 119 Printing and Publications Building, 2333 Kooser Drive.
- Did you know? When your county website transitions to the new system, you will be able to embed news articles from other ISU Extension and Outreach websites without having to copy and paste content. This will ensure that our content is up-to-date and will prevent duplication.
- Do you touch tourism-related programming, or interact with clients and businesses who are part of Iowa’s travel, tourism, and hospitality industry? If so, the Iowa Tourism Office is requesting your input to create a new strategic plan for Iowa’s tourism industry. This plan may directly impact future state funding and support of your community’s businesses and attractions, so your help is critical in reaching as many travel and tourism stakeholders as possible. Please complete the survey and share the survey link (https://www.research.net/r/Iowa-Tourism-Strategic-Planning-Survey) with other Iowa tourism industry partners prior to the survey deadline, July 24 at 5 p.m.
John D. Lawrence
Vice President for Extension and Outreach