Back in 2020 we reconfigured some positions and rerouted some reporting lines and brought all our support units together as our Operations team – and great things have been happening ever since. Director Carol Heaverlo supervises Advancement Communications and Multimedia and Creative Services, Conference Planning and Management, Registration Services, Extension Information Technology, Extension Store, Grants Administration, Professional Development, and Program Development and Evaluation. Nearly every key priority within ISU Extension and Outreach is led, supported, or propelled by Operations staff. Did you know? In the past year Operations has:
- Managed our first year of complete data with MyData; users entered 31,800 new client records and 11,625 new program offering or event records
- Distributed more than 78,000 tangible educational resources
- Administered over $18 million in competitive funding grants
- Handled planning and management for 112 in-person, virtual, and hybrid events
- Assisted extension professionals throughout the state in registering 40,000 participants for their events
- Reached 2,239 people with professional development experiences
- Answered 4,065 calls to the EIT hotline, providing technical assistance to extension professionals on campus and in the counties
- Shared our story and supported our counties with design and branding assistance, media relations, crisis communication, and more.
To learn more about the efforts of our Operations team, see their 2022 year in review.
Update on extension apparel
Late next month, you will see a change in the ISU Extension and Outreach system for ordering branded apparel items. If you want to order apparel via the current online storefront, http://www.isuextapparel.com/, you may do so until midnight on February 26. Beginning February 27, you’ll be able to order branded apparel at the same place you now order all of your other ISU Extension and Outreach promotional items – via the Extension Store: https://store.extension.iastate.edu/.
If you’ve had your eye on anything from the current apparel storefront, be sure to make your purchase before February 26. After the changeover, there will be a different selection of clothing items. Watch this space on Monday, February 27, for details, ordering links, and more information.
2023 Extension Leadership Academy cohort announced
Congratulations to the following extension staff and faculty who have been selected for the 2023 Extension Leadership Academy. They represent diverse extension positions throughout the state and have committed to building their leadership skills and preparing for ever-evolving roles within our organization. They begin their year-long cohort experience today, with an in-person session in Ames.
- Sammy Brand, Warren County youth coordinator
- Shannon Coleman, extension faculty, Human Sciences
- Bonnie Dalager, program manager, 4-H Youth Development
- Sarah DeBour, Cerro Gordo County director
- Alison DePenning, program specialist, Professional Development
- Lorena Dorado-Robles, program specialist, 4-H Youth Development
- Marissa Foels, Allamakee County youth coordinator
- Bailey Hanson, data analyst, Community and Economic Development
- Karrie King, Woodbury County director
- Lori Mannel, Greene County director
- Mica Paul, executive assistant, Office of the Vice President for Extension and Outreach
- John Robnett, communication specialist, Professional Development
- Jenna Steffen, Clay County 4-H youth outreach coordinator
- Kara Vance, Buchanan County director
- Consider submitting a proposal for the National Urban Extension Leaders North-Central Regional Network Conference June 7-9 in Madison, Wisconsin. You can propose 75-minute facilitated discussions and 5-minute ignite presentations. To learn more about this opportunity, attend the Regional Network Quarterly Meeting, January 27 at noon Central time via Zoom, or contact Cayla Taylor, Iowa State’s NUEL coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The next Second Monday Live is scheduled for 10 a.m., February 13, on WebEx. Brenda Allen will share information about our ISU Extension and Outreach Annual Conference in March and other upcoming Extension Professional Development offerings. Join the WebEx room using the meeting link or the meeting number (120 279 7804) and password “extsml”.
- Save the date: ISU Extension and Outreach Week is April 17-22.
John D. Lawrence
Vice President for Extension and Outreach