2024 Extension Leadership Academy cohort announced
From Brenda Allen, associate director, Operations
Congratulations to the following extension staff and faculty who have been selected for the 2024 Extension Leadership Academy. They represent diverse extension positions throughout the state and have committed to building their leadership skills and preparing for ever-evolving roles within our organization. They begin their year-long cohort experience January 22-23 with an in-person session in Ames.
- Becka Abraham, accountant
- Katharinna Bain, regional director
- Abby Boysen, 4-H youth program specialist
- Courtney Chapman, 4-H youth program specialist
- Gayle Coon, professional development specialist
- Jolinda Eggers, Scott County natural resources coordinator
- Sam Genson, Clinton County director
- Stacie Hewett, Buena Vista County office and program coordinator
- Chris Johnsen, Extension Store and procurement manager
- Chelsea Krist, Farm, Food and Enterprise Development specialist
- Sarah Merrifield, regional director
- Kaleena Middendorf, Conference Planning and Management specialist
- Michelle Sackville, regional director
- Meg Sage, 4-H youth program specialist
- Sara Shonrock, Community and Economic Development specialist
- Aude Watrelot, food science and human nutrition extension faculty
Rising Star interns hired for 2024
From Cindy Gannon, advancement specialist, County Services
Ten Iowa State students have been hired as Rising Star Interns for summer 2024.
- Cerro Gordo and Worth counties in Region 4 hired Taylor Mayhue, education and food science (agriculture), College of Agriculture and Life Sciences; and Lauren Koehler, family and consumer sciences education and studies, College of Human Sciences.
- Audubon, Crawford and Shelby counties in Region 13 hired Emma Marie Gilliland, elementary education, Human Sciences; Jadan Tseng, undeclared, College of Design; and Johanna Sauers, agricultural studies, CALS.
- Benton and Linn counties in Region 11 hired Olivia Lammers, industrial design, Design; and Grace Heinrich, family and consumer sciences education and studies, Human Sciences.
- Story County, Region 17, hired Colter Lauersdorf, architecture, Design; Jasmine Williams, dietetics, Human Sciences; and Emily Plagman, international agriculture and agricultural studies, CALS.
They’ll participate in orientation on campus on April 13. Under the guidance of regional directors and staff, the interns gain professional experience and skills as they lead projects that benefit Iowa communities. Learn about the work of previous interns.
For your information
- Goodbye … and welcome, December 2023: Please review this list of individuals who left ISU Extension and Outreach in the past month, as well as those who have joined our organization.
- 2023 county stakeholder reports are available on the County Services website. These reports are an important outlet for sharing our impact and public value with stakeholders and the public, as well as with taxpayers and the elected officials who allocate precious public resources, so they understand their return on investment in ISU Extension and Outreach.
- All ISU Extension and Outreach award applications and nominations must be submitted for consideration by end of day Thursday, February 1. The ISU Extension and Outreach Awards webpage has information about each award opportunity for 2024. All honorees will be recognized at the ISU Extension and Outreach Awards Program, Tuesday, March 5.
- Excellence in Extension Grant applications are due February 1 by 5:00 p.m. These competitive grants are open to all ISU Extension and Outreach employees – campus, field, and county. Funds are available for developing creative and innovative programs, as scholarships for graduate work, and to support professional growth for groups and individuals. If you have any questions about the grants or application, please contact Alison DePenning, email@example.com.
- Registration information will be coming soon for our 2024 ISU Extension and Outreach Annual Conference, March 6. The theme is “Journey with Impact: Innovate, Collaborate, Elevate.” The conference provides us an opportunity to focus on our new strategic vision and direction and begin collaborating on how we can elevate ourselves and our communities through new innovations to address the emerging issues of Iowans.
Office of the Vice President for Extension and Outreach | firstname.lastname@example.org | 515-294-6675