SWITCH (School Wellness Integration Targeting Children’s Health) is an evidence-based, ISU trademarked, program designed to help schools promote healthy lifestyles through school-based wellness programming. SWITCH is led by an interdisciplinary research team of faculty and students that work collaboratively with ISU Extension and Outreach 4-H youth program specialists to ensure that the programming meets school needs and can be disseminated effectively.
SWITCH is a 12 week program helping schools identify goals to enhance their educational system into a more wellness driven environment. Students are challenged to “Switch what they Do, View, and Chew,” from the messaging they learn during the classroom, lunchroom, and PE modules.
SWITCH what you "DO"
60 minutes per day of Physical Activity
The goal of "DO" is to get youth and families moving more. Youth are to be active 60 minutes or more per day at a moderate or vigorous level, and the recommendation for adults is 30 minutes per day.
SWITCH what you "VIEW"
Less than 2 hours of Screen Time daily
The goal of "VIEW" is for youth to cut down on the amount of time spent on electronic devices which often correlate with sedentary time spent sitting or laying. Decreasing sedentary behavior can lead to youth being engaged in movement and being more physically active.
SWITCH what you "CHEW"
Consumption of 5 or more servings of Fruits and Vegetables
The goal of "CHEW" is to encourage youth to try more fruits and vegetables and increase consumption. Eating more fruits and vegetables can be supported at school but also at home with incorporating produce in snacks and at mealtime.
Modules in SWITCH
Programming materials are delivered through three different school settings - the classroom, activities in PE, and the cafeteria.
- SWITCH Classroom offers 20 lesson activities to incorporate into a classroom unit.
- Brain break activity ideas are provided to encourage physical activity incorporation throughout the school day.
- SWITCH PE offers a variety of 5 minute warmups to open up the PE class.
- 12 weeks of PE full class lessons to correlate with the themed "Do, View, and Chew" weeks of the program.
- SWITCH Lunchroom integrates the Smarter Lunchrooms Movement, nudging youth to make healthier choices.
- Taste tests are organized monthly to introduce youth to trying new foods.
Download to learn more about SWITCH. switch_-_fundamentals.pdf