This checklist is designed to assist with the department’s orientation process. Onboarding is a long-term process that begins before an employee’s start date and continues for at least six months. This checklist is organized chronologically and helps hiring managers prepare for the arrival of new employees. Once an employee starts, he/she should work together with the hiring manager and an onboarding mentor* to complete the checklist. The hiring manager may add additional activities that are relevant to the new employee. *Please note some links may not be accessible unless you are logged into MyExtension. New employees will not have access to MyExtension up to three days after their start date.
*An onboarding mentor is someone who assists in the onboarding process and serves as a “go-to” person, as directed by the supervisor.
The benefits of onboarding are many.
Onboarding provides a formally structured and comprehensive process designed to achieve the following:
- A faster adjustment by the employee to the organization and his/her job
- Clarity in objectives and expectations
- Increased confidence
- Provision of the knowledge and resources a new employee needs to excel
- Affirmation of fit within the organization
- Enhanced engagement within the organization
- Long lasting relationships