ISU Extension and Outreach Professional Development invites those who have completed the full Crucial Conversations (CC) workshop to attend our new “Crucial Conversations Refresher Series.” Neuroscience and learning transfer theory tells us that consistently practicing (new) skills is the biggest predictor of successfully integrating learning into your everyday environment. The Refresher Series will provide a highly engaging environment in which to share ideas and discuss experiences related to the skills and strategies learned in the original CC workshop. Discuss CC skills and strategies in a facilitated environment. Collaborate with other participants to enhance your application of concepts learned. Each virtual, 50-minute monthly session focuses on a different topic from the original workshop. Sessions are related yet independent; register for any, or all in the series. Find out more about the online series from the CC Refresher Series 2020-2021 information sheet.
Overarching objectives: To revisit tools and strategies learned in Crucial Conversations and to discuss related ideas and experiences. Each session will focus on the original objectives for that topic (for reference purposes, they are listed below.)
· Participants must have already taken the 2-day in-person workshop.
· Locate your original course materials for use.
· Pre-work will require about one hour per session.
· Equipment: virtual delivery will require reliable internet access, a microphone (preferred – telephone alternate), and a camera (preferred - optional).
Session 3 – Master my Stories (November 10, 1:30 – 2:30)
- Use three skills to master your own stories and stay in dialogue when angry, scared, or hurt.
Session 4 – State my Path (December 22, 1:30 – 2:30)
- Share tough messages using the STATE skills.
Session 5 - Learn to Look (January 26, 2021, 1:30 – 2:30)
- Give ten examples of warning signs that communications are going in to ‘silence’ or ‘violence’ in yourself and others.
Session 6 – Make it Safe I (February 23, 2021, 1:30 – 2:30)
- Rebuild safety by using strategies that establish mutual purpose and mutual respect.
- Address misunderstandings using the contrasting method.
Session 7 – Make it Safe II (March 23, 2021, 1:30 – 2:30)
- Establish and maintain mutual purpose and mutual respect.
- Recognize when you are at a cross-purpose with others.
Session 8 - Explore Others’ Paths (April 13, 2021, 1:30 – 2:30)
- Help others return to safety and join you in dialogue using the AMPP technique: ask, mirror, paraphrase, and prime.
You can register for any or all in the series; they are separate yet independent. Register online. About one week prior to each class, participants will receive a reminder email message which will include class pre-work.
Please contact Robin Ertz for additional information.