Professional Development is offering a one day workshop for ISU Extension and Outreach staff, faculty and council members, Coming Together for Racial Understanding, based on the national curriculum developed by the Cooperative Extension Service Rapid Response Team. In order to register and attend the workshop, you must already have participated in the Navigating Difference Cultural Competency Workshop series.
Participants in Coming Together for Racial Understanding will:
- Identify barriers to communication and interaction.
- Counter bias and prejudice.
- Connect discrimination and oppression with real life experiences.
- Recognize, acknowledge, and affirm the pain and joy of being in target and non–target groups.
- Build trust across racial and other differences.
Dates and Locations:
- October 22, Woodbury County Extension Office, 4728 Southern Hills Drive, Sioux City
Workshop is 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. with a 30-minute lunch break.
There is no cost for ISU Extension and Outreach staff to attend, morning refreshments will be provided and participants will need to bring their lunch. For more information about the workshop, see the Coming Together for Racial Understanding Course Information Sheet and Coming Together for Racial Understanding Sample Agenda.
Registration is available online.
Please contact Gayle Coon for additional information. Registration is limited to 25 participants per workshop.