AMES, Iowa – Pork producers can learn more about building ventilation from the inside out through a series of workshops in mid-March. The Iowa Pork Industry Center is joining the Iowa State University Extension and Outreach in offering “Managing Your Unseen Employee: The Ventilation System” at five different Iowa locations at no cost. The series is sponsored by Automated Production Systems and lunch is provided courtesy of Iowa Pork Producers Association.
Brett Ramirez, assistant professor in agricultural and biosystems engineering at Iowa State University, said the daylong program provides a two-pronged approach to understanding issues and consequences of decisions by combining classroom instruction with hands-on trials and application of knowledge gained in a real-world setting.
“Session content is divided into three categories delivered classroom style and a fourth that provides hands-on learning,” he said. “In that final portion, attendees will be able to see and feel the impacts that design, maintenance and management can have on various ventilation practices through the use of Iowa State’s 24-foot mobile Swine Ventilation Trailer.”
See more information in the workshop series brochure.
All workshops run from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Attendance is limited to 32 participants at each location and people may sign up for one location only. Preregistration is required using this online form.
Workshop dates, locations and preregistration contacts are below.
- March 15, Sutherland, Northwest Research and Demonstration Farm, 6320 500th St.; contact Dave Stender, firstname.lastname@example.org or 712-225-6196.
- March 16, Emmetsburg, Iowa Lakes Community College, 3200 College Drive; contact Dave Stender, email@example.com or 712-225-6196.
- March 17, Radcliffe, Hands On Excavating Shop, 3305 Ziegler Ave.; contact Russ Euken, firstname.lastname@example.org or 641-923-2856.
- March 18, Cresco, Howard County Fairgrounds, Featherlite Center, 220 7th St. West; contact Mark Storlie, email@example.com, 563-425-3331.
- March 19, Iowa City, Johnson County Extension Office, 3109 Old Highway 218 S.; contact Matt Romoser, firstname.lastname@example.org, 319-430-7533.
Original photo: Iowa State trailer.