AMES, Iowa – Before harvest comes to a close, producers, ag lenders and suppliers are already planning ahead for next year. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach economists will offer valuable insight on key factors impacting 2020 operating decisions at 13 Pro-Ag Outlook and Management Seminars to be held across the state in November and December.
Each three-hour seminar includes information on grain price outlook and global factors to watch, livestock prices and margins, as well as farmland operating margins, outlook and trends.
The focus of the program is to provide agribusiness leaders a concise evaluation of current market conditions, expected trends in crop and livestock income potential and management implications. Participants also will gain insight on implications of trade agreements on Iowa producers, and the critical role of land values and interest rates in the stabilization of the agricultural sector.
Speakers will vary by location but will include ISU Extension and Outreach state specialists Chad Hart, associate professor in economics and extension grain markets specialist; Alejandro Plastina, assistant professor and extension economist; Lee Schulz, assistant professor and livestock economist; and Wendong Zhang, assistant professor and extension economist. ISU Extension and Outreach field specialists will also be present at the meetings.
The program takes an in-depth look into the outlook for agriculture in 2020 and provides an opportunity to discuss the current Iowa economic situation with university experts.
Locations and dates
- Waterloo - Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 9 a.m., Hawkeye College, Tama Hall, Room 201, 319-234-6811.
- Sioux City - Monday, Nov. 11 at 9 a.m., Woodbury County Extension Office, 712-276-2157.
- Spirit Lake - Monday, Nov. 11 at 2:30 p.m., Dickinson County Extension Office, 712-336-3488.
- Fort Dodge* - Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 4 p.m., Webster County Extension Office, 515-576-2119.
- Carroll* - Thursday, Nov. 14 at 9:30 a.m., Carroll County Extension Office, 712-792-2364.
- Altoona* - Friday, Nov. 15 at 9 a.m., Polk County Extension Office, 515-957-5760.
- Mason City - Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 1 p.m., Muse-Norris Conference Center, NIACC Campus, 641-423-0844.
- Cresco - Friday, Nov. 22 at 9 a.m., Featherlite Center, Howard County Fairgrounds, 563-547-3001.
- Greenfield - Monday, Nov. 25, 1 p.m., Warren Cultural Center Auditorium, 641-743-8412.
- Shenandoah - Monday, Dec. 2, 1 p.m., Shenandoah Bricker Meeting Room, 712-542-5171.
- Iowa City* - Friday, Dec. 6 at 12:30 p.m., Johnson County Extension Office, 319-337-2145.
- Mt. Pleasant* - Friday, Dec. 13 at 7:30 a.m., Henry County Extension Office, 319-385-8126.
- Bloomfield* - Friday, Dec. 13 at 2 p.m., Pioneer Ridge Nature Area, 641-673-5841.
*Meal included; Altoona location includes lunch and Farm Income Tax webinar in the afternoon.
The sessions are open to the public, however, pre-registration is requested two days prior to the date of the event. Speakers, registration fees and provided meals vary by location. For locations, times and program information, contact the farm management field specialist in your area or visit www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/info/proag.html.
Photo credit: murika/stock.adobe.com