AMES, Iowa – As harvest comes to a close, producers, ag lenders and suppliers are planning ahead for next year. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach economists will offer valuable insight on key factors impacting 2019 operating decisions at 12 Pro-Ag Outlook and Management Seminars to be held across the state in November and December.
Each three-hour seminar includes information on grain price outlook and global factors to watch, livestock prices and margins, and farmland operating margins, outlook and trends.
The focus of the program is to provide agribusiness leaders a concise evaluation of current market conditions, expected trends in crop and livestock income potential and management implications. Participants also will gain insight on implications trade agreements have on Iowa producers and the critical role of land values and interest rates in the stabilization of the agricultural sector.
Speakers line-up will vary by location but will include ISU Extension and Outreach state specialists Chad Hart, associate professor in economics and extension grain markets specialist; Alejandro Plastina, assistant professor and extension economist; Lee Schulz, assistant professor and livestock economist; Keri Jacobs, assistant professor and co-operatives economist; and Wendong Zhang, assistant professor and extension economist. ISU Extension and Outreach field specialists will also be present at the meetings.
This program takes an in-depth look into the outlook for agriculture in 2019 and provides an opportunity to discuss the current Iowa economic situation with university experts.
Seminar locations and dates:
- Altoona – Friday, Nov. 9 at 9 a.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Polk County office, 515-957-5760
- Carroll – Monday, Nov. 12 at 9:30 a.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Carroll County office, 712-792-2364
- Fort Dodge – Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 4 p.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Webster County office, 515-576-2119
- Waterloo – Thursday, Nov. 15 at 9:30 a.m., Hawkeye Community College, Tama Hall, 319-234-6811
- Mason City – Friday, Nov. 16 at 12:30 p.m., Muse-Norris Conference Center, North Iowa Area Community College, 641-423-0844
- Cresco – Wednesday, Nov. 21 at 9 a.m., Howard County Fairgrounds, Featherlite Center, 563-547-3001
- Greenfield – Monday, Dec. 3 at 9 a.m., Warren Cultural Center Auditorium, 641-743-8412
- Iowa City – Wednesday, Dec. 5 at 12:30 p.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Johnson County office, 319-337-2145
- Mt. Pleasant – Thursday, Dec. 6 at 8 a.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Henry County office, 319-385-8126
- Bloomfield – Thursday, Dec. 6 at 2 p.m., Pioneer Ridge Nature Center, 641-673-5841
- Sheldon – Wednesday, Dec. 12 at 9 a.m., Northwest Iowa Community College, Building A, Room 117, 712-957-5045
- Storm Lake – Wednesday, Dec. 12 at 2 p.m., Prairie Lakes AEA, 712-732-5056
The sessions are open to the public, however pre-registration is requested two days prior to the date of the event. Speakers, registration fees and provided meals vary by location. For locations, times and program information, contact the farm management field specialist in your area or visit www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/info/meetings.html.