AMES, Iowa – The 2019 state 4-H meat judging contest was held at the Iowa State University Meat Laboratory Aug. 24.
The O’Brien County Senior Team earned first place in the Iowa contest and will represent the state at nationals in October. Members are Eric Mars, Abigail Boardman, Jack Farqubar and Aiden Rehder.
The Iowa State University Animal Science Department holds the contest to determine Iowa’s representative to the National 4-H contest held during the American Royal, in Kansas City.
Contest participants were asked to identify 30 retail cuts by classifying them as beef, pork or lamb, identify the name of the cut, where on the carcass it originated, and evaluate beef and pork carcasses based on muscle, trimness and quality.
Youth were also asked to evaluate beef ribs, fresh hams, porterhouse steaks and pork blade chops based on the amount of edible product and quality.
Participants defended their placings by presenting three sets of oral reasons or by answering questions about the classes they evaluated.
“Meat judging is a very practical contest, teaching youth how to identify meat and choose the best cut based on quality, trimness and muscling,” said Amy Powell, ISU Extension and Outreach youth animal science STEM specialist. “It also teaches decision making, critical thinking and public speaking skills.”
Junior Division Winners
- High individual in placings and retail ID: Hudson Oolman, O’Brien County
- High individual in questions: Leo Sells, O’Brien County
- Fourth high individual overall: Brett Evans, O’Brien County
- Third high individual overall: Kyan Kruse, O’Brien County
- Second high individual overall: Leo Sells, O’Brien County
- First high individual overall: Hudson Oolman, O’Brien County
- O’Brien County – Hudson Oolman, Leo Sells, Brett Evans, Kyan Kruse
Senior Division Winners
- High individual in placings and retail ID: Abigail Boardman, O’Brien County
- High individual in reasons: Jack Farqubar, O’Brien County
- Fifth high individual overall: Aiden Rehder, O’Brien County
- Fourth high individual overall: Jack Farqubar, O’Brien County
- Third high individual overall: Emily Chicoine, O’Brien County
- Second high individual overall: Eric Mars, O’Brien County
- First high individual overall: Abigail Boardman, O’Brien County
Photo: Champion Senior Team (L to R) Jack Farqubar, Abigail Boardman, Aidan Rehder, Emily Chicoine, Eric Mars