AMES, Iowa – Iowa Learning Farms has launched its latest traveling educational trailer. The Conservation Station on the Edge features saturated buffer and bioreactor models to demonstrate how these edge of field practices are installed and how the natural nitrate removal process works.
Iowa Learning Farms is a hands-on education and outreach program providing farmers throughout Iowa with information and best practices in soil, water and nutrient management solutions.
“The conservation methods being demonstrated are actually under ground and hidden from view once implemented,” said Matt Helmers, professor of agriculture and biosystems engineering at Iowa State University and faculty adviser to ILF. “The working scale models allow farmers to visualize how these systems work, reduces uncertainty and helps them grasp the low level of maintenance required to maintain the benefits. We are very excited to bring these new solutions to farmers and address any questions or concerns that might crop up.”
The new graphics and updated demonstrations incorporate research validating the advantages of these practices to reduce nitrates in waterways. In addition, the ILF team is prepared to consult with farmers about individual requirements, potential cost-sharing resources, and best practices in preparing and implementing a conservation plan.
The On the Edge platform will be on display at the following locations throughout the summer. Please stop by to see these important solutions in action. Field day details can be found at https://www.iowalearningfarms.org/page/events.
Date, event, location
- July 11, NW Research Farm Field Day, Sutherland
- July 17, Prairie Rivers Field Day at FEEL, Boone
- July 18, Fifth Annual Borlaug Ag Institute, Cresco
- July 21, Linn County Conservation Tour, Center Point
- Aug. 4, Mitchell County Fair, Osage
- Aug. 7, Saturated Buffer, Cover Crops Field Day, Walcott
- Aug. 9, Dickinson County Edge of Field Practice Field Day, Spirit Lake
- Aug. 22, Walnut Creek Watershed Edge of Field Practice Field Day, Polk County
- Aug. 23, Poweshiek County Bioreactor Field Day, Brooklyn
- Aug. 28-30, Farm Progress Show, Boone
- Sept. 5, Dordt College Edge of Field Practice Field Day, Sioux Center
- Sept. 6, PFI Field Day Hosted by Dennis Carney, Marble Rock
- Sept. 13, LICA Edge of Field Practice Field Day, Melbourne
To learn more about Iowa Learning Farms outreach and education programs, please visit www.iowalearningfarms.org.