AMES, Iowa – Just in time for some mid-winter learning, the Iowa Beef Center is hosting a five-part feedlot webinar series beginning Feb. 1.
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Beef Specialist Erika Lundy-Woolfolk is organizing the series that will be held every Thursday in February.
"Each session has a unique topic that was chosen based on input from producers at the grassroots level," she said. "After the topic presentation of about 30 minutes, we're providing time for questions and discussion with the session attendees."
They'll talk about how necropsies can shed light on health management programs, comparing cattle performance in various buildings, and how to properly diagnose, treat and prevent various types of lameness, Lundy-Woolfolk said.
“Another session includes a discussion on strategies for managing price risk in feedlot settings," she said. “And we’ll round out the series with a session focused on an ongoing Iowa State research project funded by the Iowa State Beef Checkoff Program that's evaluating nutritional impacts on beef and dairy steers.”
The dates, topics and presenters are:
- Feb. 1. Understanding the value of feedlot necropsies, Terry J. Engelken, professor and veterinarian in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State.
- Feb. 8. Pros and cons of facility types, Dan Loy, retired director of the Iowa Beef Center.
- Feb. 15. Beef cattle market outlook and managing price risk, Lee Schulz, livestock economist with ISU Extension and Outreach.
- Feb. 22. Managing foot health in the feedyard, Dan Thomson, retired beef specialist at Iowa State.
- Feb. 29. Iowa State research update: beef x dairy project, Garland Dahlke, research scientist with the Iowa Beef Center.
Sessions will be hosted through the Webex platform at no charge to attendees, and all begin at noon. The presentations run approximately 30 minutes, with additional time available for questions and discussion from the attendees. All sessions will be recorded and eventually posted to the Iowa Beef Center YouTube channel. Register online for the sessions you wish to attend.