Community Food Systems Annual Event
Our Community Food Systems Program (formerly the Ag Urbanism Toolkit) began hosting an annual event in 2015. Held in winter, this daylong event lifts up best practices around the region within all areas of community food systems. Come learn, engage, and discuss ways to promote community engagement, collective action, and food systems projects including edible landscapes, food hubs, shared-use kitchens, and more.
This gathering is meant to build up our partners and promote collaboration, sharing and networking for creative and collaborative projects.
Come learn about others’ good work, and share your experiences and projects through the lightning round and poster session. There will be plenty of time for open space for dialogue and brainstorming.
The event is open to see information on this year’s event, and presentations and other resources from past annual events.
You’ll participate in workshops, hear from expert panelists and speakers, and network with your colleagues building robust local food systems all across the state of Iowa.
This will be our fourth annual annual event, and they just keep getting bigger and better! Check out our agenda, below, followed by location and lodging information.
We hope to see many of you in March!
Thursday, March 28: Pre-conference events
- Local Food Leader train-the-trainer workshop. Offered to individuals who have completed Local Food Leader certification. Fee $20.
- Networking event: 6 – 9 p.m.
Friday, March 29: Community Food Systems Annual Event (fee $60)
- 8 a.m. – Registration and networking
- 9 a.m. – Welcome and poster lightning round
- 9:45 a.m. – Keynote: Capacity Development
- 10:15 a.m. – Networking break
- 10:30 a.m. – Certification panels
- 11:45 a.m. – Lunch and keynote: What’s Happening in Food Systems?
- 1 p.m. – Breakout sessions
- 4 p.m. – Capnote: Creating Momentum
- 4 p.m. – Adjourn
Location and lodging
Our 2019 event will take place at the Des Moines at Ramada Tropics Resort and Conference Center, 5000 Merle Hay Road, Urbandale, Iowa, 50322. You can call the hotel at (515) 278-0271 and request a room for the Community Food Systems event for any of the nights from 3/27/19- 3/30/19 at a rate of $79/night.
- List of attendees and presenters
- Community Food Systems Program next steps (C. Long)
- Agrihood project in Pleasant Hill (M. Sturm & T. Grundmeyer)
- Agrihoods info handout from ATTRA
- Dubuque institutional local food purchases overview
- Local purchasing poll (Dubuque Eats Well)
- Farm to institution poll results (Dubuque Eats Well)
- Iowa Workforce Development apprenticeship program (A. Sidwell)
- Public gardens (edible landscapes) (C. Long & S. Staashelm)
- Small Business Development Centers (B. Tapp)
- Trends in local foods (B. Menner)