Iowa State University Extension and Outreach is currently seeking candidates for an Extension Program Assistant II - Nutrition Educator - Scott County. This is a part-time position at 30 hours/week. This position will primarily be working Monday-Friday, day hours with some evening and weekend hours. Because this role requires on-site education, access to reliable transportation is necessary as some locations are not accessible by public transportation.
This nutrition educator will join a team working to help Iowans eat well while sticking to a tight budget. The nutrition educator will network with agencies throughout the community to identify and recruit eligible program participants. The nutrition educator will use established curricula to engage Iowans in educational programs designed to expand knowledge of healthy eating and physical activity while also building skills related to cooking, food safety and saving money on groceries.
- Knowledge of nutrition
- Experience with meal planning and food preparation
- Experience delivering information one-to-one or in small groups in person or virtually
- Experience with Extension programs
- Knowledge of local community agencies and resources that help families and individuals in need
- Experience with recruiting clients and/or sales
- Demonstrated experience of successful engagement with populations who are low income
- Experience working with communities in which English is a second language
- Experience with technology
One year of experience as an Extension Program Assistant I or equivalent work experience, or Any combination of experience and education from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired which totals one year. • Requires ability to travel to various locations in order to conduct extension education programs.
• Knowledge of community resources.
• Knowledge of issues and facts relating to the educational program.
• Knowledge of basic arithmetic skills, i.e., addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, fractional numbers, decimals, etc.
• Knowledge of human development.
• Skill in adapting program materials to address special needs of the audience.
• Ability to read, understand and execute oral and written instructions.
• Ability to keep accurate records.
• Ability to communicate with a variety of people.
• Ability to transport educational materials necessary for the job to the seminar site.
• Ability to assist with the training of others.
• Ability to use time management skills.
• Ability to learn and use virtual platforms for meetings or lessons.
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans
• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans
• Life insurance and long-term disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Various voluntary benefits and discounts
• Employee Assistance Program
• Wellbeing program
• This job may also be eligible for flexible work schedules and flexible workplace options that may include flexible working hours and a hybrid working environment.