Ensure all financial systems meet the legal, council, and management needs as defined by the State of Iowa Auditor and county fiscal policy.
- Maintain statewide supported accounting system by correctly entering and categorizing all transactions.
- Monitors and maintains all accounts, systems, and reports according to the county’s approved chart of accounts.
- Must understand Generally Accepted Accounting Practices.
- Enter receipts and deposits into the accounting system using documentation from the county that details receipt number, payee, amount, and description.
- Enter invoices for payment (vouchers) using documentation from the county that details vendor name, document date, description, document number, and invoice amount. Once checks have been created, the external bookkeeper will e-mail checks to the internal bookkeeper so the county can print them.
- County will communicate any new vendors and collect W-9s so that the external bookkeeper can set up the vendor correctly.
- Prepare monthly payroll and payroll reports:
- Ensure tax and benefit paperwork for new county employees is completed.
- Process employee payroll records.
- Pay monthly liabilities: IPERS, Federal Withholding Taxes, Health Insurance, etc.
- Pay quarterly liabilities: Iowa Withholding Taxes.
- Complete quarterly reporting: Federal Withholding Taxes (Form 941), Iowa Workforce Development (State Unemployment).
- Complete calendar year-end payroll procedures and file yearly reports: W-2, W-3, 1099, 1096, 42-007.
- Reconciles monthly bank statements against all accounts and completes monthly account reconciliation process
- Prepare monthly and annual financial reports:
- Prepares reports for program fee, grants and contracts, including accurate balances. This includes monthly 4-H Club reports.
- Send monthly reports and balancing spreadsheet to the County Services Accountant, Internal Bookkeeper, and Regional Director monthly as outlined in the county’s fiscal policy.
- At the fiscal year-end, ensure that reports are sent to the County Services Accountant, Internal Bookkeeper, and Regional Director.
- Send reports as needed as the county requests.
- Prepare transaction reports for grants or projects as needed.
- Monitors reports and alerts the regional director if there are any concerns or if any discrepancies are found.
- May assist in budget preparations with council and staff and complete Iowa Department of Management forms and processes. Enters approved budget into the accounting system.
- Ensures financial documentation is prepared and sent to the county for annual audit. Ensure that the county understands best practices for filing documentation throughout the year.
- Must be bonded through the crime bond policy.
- Must follow fiscal policy and procedures.
- Must follow personnel policy and procedures.
- Follow all financial retention policies for grants, revenue, expenditures, receivables, and other required reports.
- Continually develop and enhance relevant skills and understand current professional standards.
- Travel to the county office as needed to identify and solve accounting issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working in Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains (M-GP)
- Bookkeeping or accounting experience
- Preference to applicants who have bookkeeping or accounting experience and knowledge specific to County Agriculture Extension Districts.
- Detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines
- Able to ensure confidentiality
- Understanding of how to develop and implement budgets
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Computer, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Team player and people-oriented
- Ability to work without direct supervision