The primary role of the CYC is to empower youth to reach their full potential through Youth-Adult Partnerships and research-based experiences. This full time position provides leadership, education, and management of Johnson County 4-H youth development programs serving K-12 youth of Johnson County. The position requires extensive knowledge of Iowa State University Extension and Outreach 4-H Youth Development Program and the ability to manage, facilitate, and deliver youth development programs with dependability and confidentiality; as well as create and maintain internal and external partnerships.
Program Planning and Implementation
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to advance the 4-H mission and vision.
- Implement and support Positive Youth Development through program delivery in Afterschool Programs, Camps, Schools, Clubs/Learning Communities, and Events; as assigned in cooperation with the REED, Youth Program Specialist, and office staff.
- Plan, organize, and conduct the Johnson County 4-H and FFA Fair activities as they relate to Iowa 4-H program. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Recruiting and management of volunteers, static exhibit judging, coordinating transportation of state fair exhibits, Communications/Share the Fun, Awards Program and assist CYC I with fair responsibilities to include: recording fair results, auction help, livestock show support. During the fair, additional hours will be required.
- Other 4-H events to plan and facilitate include, but are not limited to: Camps, educational trips, lock-ins, fundraisers, Extravaganza, volunteer trainings and recognition, National 4-H Week, trainings for youth and more.
- The CYC is responsible for managing the 4-H budget in cooperation with the Office Coordinator and oversight by the REED and Extension Council. CYC must secure adequate financial resources to carry out 4-H programs.
- Maintain appropriate records and prepare reports as required (monthly reports, 4-H Statistical, 4-H publications, etc.)
- Collect, analyze, and share county data to ensure county program effectiveness.
- Identify potential audiences and market 4-H opportunities alongside marketing coordinator.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other groups, agencies, organizations, and schools.
- Ensure policy compliance with Iowa 4-H and ISUEO for all youth programs.
- Network and collaborates within the regional 4-H team.
- Assist with media/marketing efforts and other office responsibilities as needed.
- Organize and conduct educational youth activities utilizing research-based curriculum developed by National 4-H, ISU, ISUEO, and other Land Grant Universities in planning age-appropriate educational efforts for youth focusing on the 4-H Program Priority areas of Healthy Living, STEM, Leadership, and Communication and the Arts.
- Encourage development of life skills among program participants.
- Determine age appropriate activities and events for participants.
- Evaluate programs and compile data as needed.
Volunteer Development and Management
- Recruit and retain a diverse pool of community and corporate volunteers and assist in screening process for various roles and activities.
- Coordinate, implement, and evaluate volunteer trainings and activities with guidance of volunteer management system (ISOTURE).
- Organize volunteer trainings and meeting with direct and support volunteers, committees, club leaders, project leaders and liaison between Extension and Fair Board.
Communication and Member Client Support
- Maintain communications with 4-H members, volunteers, Extension support staff and the public; including newsletters, news releases, and written correspondence.
- Coordinate forms and correspondence for area and state events and opportunities such as State Conference, Area Awards Selection, State Fair, area camps and trips.
- Develop or maintain social media presence through posts and news releases etc in collaboration with marketing coordinator
- Communicate value and impacts of 4-H and youth programs to members, families, volunteers, stakeholders, staff etc. to build, grow, and strengthen the program.
- Leverage internal and external partnerships to secure public/private program support
- Ability to secure grant funding for 4-H and K-12 programming
- Design and oversee fundraising efforts for K-12 youth programming and 4-H program
Other activities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in education preferred
- Knowledge and experience in working with youth is necessary. 4-H experience is valuable
- Experience with coordinating events and/or activities and capable of delegating tasks
- Knowledge in volunteer recruitment and management, fundraising, and marketing preferred
- Computer skills: Fluent with e-mail; MS Office programs: Word, Excel, Publisher, online programs and social media
- Organizational skills, multi-tasking capabilities, strong leadership skills, and ability to achieve deadlines
- Ability to take initiative, be a self-starter, and cooperate in a team atmosphere
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation, to fulfill the duties of the position
- Must pass ISU Extension and Outreach background check and be approved by the Johnson County Agricultural Extension District Council
DEMANDS OF THE POSITION
- This is a full time, 40-hour per week position with normal work hours between 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Monday through Friday with a one-hour lunch break. Evening, weekend, and additional overtime hours are required.
- These additional hours would consist of Youth Development Committee meetings, 4-H Youth Council meetings, leading volunteer trainings, necessary Johnson County Fair Board meetings, the Johnson County 4-H and FFA fair and for the management of other 4-H events throughout the year.
- Ability to be in the presence of farm animals for extended periods is required; knowledge of farm animals valuable, but not required.
- This position requires routine office demands, including possibility of lifting of moderate weights.
- Wages will be determined based on experience and/or budgetary limitations
- This is a full-time position. The employee will receive paid holidays and vacation/sick leave in accordance with the current Office Policy
- The employer will pay its portion of FICA and IPERS
- Employer provides an individual insurance plan in accordance with the current Office Policy
- Mileage for work related travel reimbursed at the federal rate
- The 4-H County Youth Coordinator is accountable to the employer Johnson County Agricultural Extension Council
- This position will be supervised by the Regional Extension Education Director in cooperation with the Office Coordinator and programmatic supervision provided by the YPS
Please complete the application and return it to: Johnson County Extension and Outreach, c/o Katharinna Bain, 3109 Old Hwy 218 S., Iowa City, IA 52246
-OR- e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 p.m., Wednesday, February 15thPlease include a completed application, cover letter, resume and list of references for our review.
Again, thank you for your interest. Only prospective applicants that include an application, resume, letter of application and references will be considered.
Johnson County - Job Description 4-H County Youth Coordinator II