Iowa State University Extension and Outreach - Fremont County is seeking a new team member for the role of Office Assistant. The position will be 20 hours per week to be arranged between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Benefits include competitive wage, paid sick leave, holidays, and vacation, and IPERS (Iowa Public Employee’s Retirement System). Health and dental insurance are available for purchase through ISU.
General duties include providing customer service and office support, light bookkeeping in cooperation with an external bookkeeper, and record management.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines, possess excellent customer service and communication skills, and have a general understanding of budgets. Candidates must have a high school diploma, or equivalent, with at least two years bookkeeping/accounting experience or an Associate degree in a related field, pass a background screening, have a valid driver’s license, and have access to reliable transportation. Preference will be given to those who reside in Fremont County.
- Assists clients by phone, email, or walk-in, utilizing research-based resources from ISU Extension and Outreach whenever appropriate.
- Assists county-paid staff and specialists with program execution and day to day office function.
- Manages volunteer records and background screenings as required in risk management policies.
- Oversee equipment supplies and inventory balances.
- Maintain historical account of Fremont County Extension programming and news.
- Understand Generally Accepted Accounting Practices.
- Ensure financial documentation is ready for annual audit.
- Provide monthly reports to council and county/state staff.
- Must be bonded through the crime bond policy.
- Must follow fiscal policy and procedures.
- Initiate all accounting transactions:
- Write receipts in appropriate receipt book for money received.
- Make change for clients.
- Prepare documentation.
- Process payables and distribute checks in a timely manner.
- Prepare, distribute, and track invoices.
- Manage Change Fund.
- Provide necessary information to External Bookkeeper for timely payroll processing and assist as necessary.
- Follow all financial retention policies for grants, revenue, expenditures, receivables and other required reports.
- Implement internal control procedures for separation of duties.
- Continually develop and enhance relevant skills and understand current professional standards.
- Utilize data management systems such as 4-H Online, FairEntry, and MyData.
- Assist with market animal weigh-ins.
- Manage Pesticide Applicator Training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate (or equivalent) with at least two years bookkeeping/accounting experience OR Associate degree in related field
- Successful completion of background screening
- Excellent customer services skills
- Detail oriented and able to meet deadlines
- Able to ensure confidentiality
- General understanding of budgets
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Computer, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Team player and people oriented
- Ability to work without direct supervision
- Associate or bachelor’s degree or two years of office management experience
- Professional office experience
- Bookkeeping experience
The deadline to apply is 4:30 p.m. on July 31, or until position is filled. Please submit the folowing to Mandy Maher, Director, PO Box 420, Sidney, IA 51652 or by email to email@example.com.
- Completed Application (DOWNLOAD HERE)
- Cover Letter
- Resume that includes education, work experience, and three professional references
Benefits include competitive wage, paid sick leave, holidays, and vacation, and IPERS (Iowa Public Employee’s Retirement System). Health and dental insurance are available for purchase through ISU.