Iowa State University Extension and Outreach – Dubuque County is currently seeking an individual to fill a temporary Summer Youth Assistant Position. This position will be responsible for leading youth activities in Dubuque County, including day camp programs, educational offerings, and coordinating activities at the Dubuque County Fair. This individual must be reliable, detail-oriented, a problem-solver, self-motivated, and able to work independently and with a team.
1. Organize, plan, and teach research-based curriculum to Kindergarten-8th grade youth in a day camp setting.
2. Work directly with day camp partners to develop daily program and activities.
3. Organize and implement group activities, lessons, and snacks.
4. Attend training and summer staff meetings as required by supervisor.
5. Submit records of program participation, program evaluation, wage, and mileage reports, as required by supervisor
6. Assist with various Dubuque County Fair activities, events, and youth opportunities
1. Must successfully complete 4-H background screening prior to official hire date
2. One year of high school completed, minimum
3. Access to transportation and valid Driver’s License required
4. Ability to lift 40 pounds.
1. Preference given to those pursuing a degree in education or those with teaching experience
2. Experience in organizing and leading group activities and managing group behavior
3. Experience educating youth and preparing lesson plans
4. Experience working with diverse audiences
5. Computer experience to complete reports and prepare communications
6. Skills in oral and written communication
7. Able to maintain a close working relationship with staff, volunteers, and partners
8. Available during the entire Dubuque County Fair, July 24 – July 30, with ability to work long hours during this week
EMPLOYMENT DATES, WORK HOURS & COMPENSATION: May 30 - August 4, 2023,
Term employment, flexible hours. 30 - 40 hours/week at $15/hr.+, depending on experience. Work hours will generally fall between Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., with some evening and weekend hours as scheduled. Possibility of returning as seasonal help during the winter and spring months. Employment contingent upon successful background screening (required).