ISU Extension and Outreach in Des Moines County (Des Moines County Extension) builds a strong Iowa by connecting residents to the research and resources developed by Iowa State University. ISU Extension and Outreach in Des Moines County offers educational programming and experiential learning opportunities to residents focused in four areas: K-12 outreach and youth development; health and well-being; agriculture and natural resources; and community and economic development.
Des Moines County Extension, based in West Burlington, has an immediate part-time opening in the area of office support. Under general supervision, this person will work directly with the public as well as the office staff to provide customer service, program support and public communications about Des Moines County Extension programming. There are some shared responsibilities, so this person must be a skilled communicator to ensure positive customer service.
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
• Provide a positive and welcoming customer service experience to all clients in all interactions
• Answer main phone line and handle client requests
• Organize and maintain office files, office supply cupboards, copy paper shelves, publications and equipment inventory
• Responsible for maintaining bulletin board and front office to be neat. Have current materials on display.
• Coordinate internal and external reservations and use of the conference rooms.
• Set up conference room for scheduled meetings and ensure they are clean and ready for next user(s).
• Provide hospitality to guests using conference rooms
• Open office at 9:00 a.m. and close the office at 4:30 p.m. on Monday- Thursday. Open office at 9:00 a.m. and close office at 1:00 p.m. on Fridays.
• Coordinate registrations for programs
• Maintain and update binders/electronic files used for assisting client’s questions.
• Take cash, check and make receipts.
• Reconcile cash drawer on a bi-weekly schedule.
• Make deposits weekly.
• Sort and deliver mail to staff, prepare individual mailings and packages for shipment.
• Create invoices and reconcile outstanding checks.
Communications and Other Responsibilities:
• Coordinate 4-H Clubs’ account requests and processing club deposits, finance claim forms, generate monthly club finances emails
• Interest and knowledge in horticulture and agriculture needed
• Provide clerical support to field specialists and staff members
• Oversees the office kitchen organizations and maintenance
• Stay up to date on Extension policies and program changes to communicate the most accurate information to clients seeking assistance
• Complete other duties as assigned
• Follows all policies, rules and procedures as directed by the Extension Council or Regional Director.
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent customer service – works well with the public
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Well organized and capable of managing multiple responsibilities
• Problem-solving skills
• Associate degree or four or more years professional work experience
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, Internet, email
• Able to handle cash and checks, accurately documenting receipts in conjunction with the program coordinator
• Knowledge of basic office machinery
• Able to lift and move 40 pounds
To apply, please submit the following materials to Whitney Howell- Regional Director email@example.com
- Cover Letter identify which position(s) applying
- 3 professional references
- Completed Employment Application: Des Moines County Office Program Assistant Application
- Have questions? Call Whitney at (319) 310-3687
IPERS retirement plan