START/END DATE: May 30, 2024 (as available) to August 6, 2024 - may flex based on applicant’s schedule and office workload. Summer, temporary positions, 40 hours per week. Approximately 400 hours during summer. Application packets will be accepted through December 1 or until filled.
We are looking to employ 2 people – one with a focus on 4-H club/county fair and the other with an education focus to deliver outreach education to K-8th grade youth. Please send cover letter, application, and references to email@example.com
Reports to: County Youth Coordinator and Educator and Regional Director
Location: 28061 Fairground Rd Adel, IA 50003
Compensation: Hourly commensurate with education and experience; Starting wage: $14.00 per hour – experience is welcomed
Performs a key role in the organization, preparation and implementation of 4-H activities. Will work with Fair Entry system verifying fair entries, prepping show catalog and entering results.
Helps provide support to 4-H families with Fair Entry questions and with requirements for animal and non-animal exhibits. Will assist with summer camps and other youth educational programming for youth K-12. Will also help with general office duties as needed.
- Must be available for the Dallas County Fair (July 9 through July 14, 2024)
- High school diploma plus, a minimum of 1 year post High School Diploma studies or equivalent experience in youth development, education, public relations, or related fields
- Employment contingent on successful screening in Child Protection Safety Program
- Enjoys working directly with youth and leading educational activities
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs and Online database systems
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere with minimal supervision
- Proficient in computer, organizational, and communication skills
- The ability to prioritize tasks
- Licensed driver with reliable transportation
- 4-H background either as a member or volunteer
- Experience working directly with youth
Reporting of Activities:
The Summer Youth Program Assistants will attend regular staff meetings and work closely with the Dallas County Youth Coordinator and Youth Outreach Educator. Accountable to the Dallas County Extension Council and all its policies.
- Assist in letter writing, preparing brochures/booklets, and other communications
- Collection and management of registrations, entries, and other program data
- Daily customer service- distributing information and handling transactions with clients via email, mail, phone, and in-person
- Other clerical duties as needed to support programming
PROGRAM ASSISTANT/SUPPORT STAFF:
- Assist with delivery of summer 4-H & youth camps
- Prepare and organize workshop/camp materials
- Attend workshops/camps to help carry out programming
- Assist in planning, organizing and conducting the 4-H/Youth activities at the Dallas County Fair. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to preparing paperwork, assisting with livestock shows and sale, data entry and management, and general support of livestock and exhibit hall activities. During the fair, additional hours will be required
- Participate in positive youth development training and curriculum training
- Other related duties deemed necessary
- Starting Salary: $14.00 hour for up to 400 hours. (40 Hours per week for 10 weeks) May involve overtime during county fair.
- Mileage for use of personal vehicle in the performance of approved duties will be paid at the current Dallas County travel allowance rate
- Internship and College Credit: If enrolled in college and in need of college credit, with prior approval, Extension staff will cooperate with your institution in filling this need.
For more information or questions, please contact:
Ann Torbert, Regional Director
ISU Extension and Outreach Dallas County
28061 Fairground Rd
Adel, IA 50003