Cass County Extension will hire two summer assistants in 2024. One position will have a primary focus on summer youth programming such as day camps and other youth outreach. The other position will have a primary focus on office support and coordination/communication regarding fair activities. Both positions will be exposed to a wide variety of work experiences and programming opportunities. General skills and tasks for both positions are outlined below. Other duties will be assigned throughout the summer based on programming and staffing needs.
Summer Youth Program Support:
· Assist with planning, preparing for, and delivering youth day camps – identify and organize materials for activities, transport and setup at camp location, assist with group management and leading youth activities during camp
· Assist with planning and leading activities during summer programs at libraries and other partner organizations
· Assist with preparation and delivery of other 4-H and Youth summer workshops and outreach programs
· Assist with planning and running county fair contests and activities
· Conduct evaluations and compile information for reporting purposes after events
Summer Office Support and Fair Prep:
· Assist in preparing communications and marketing materials for summer programs, 4-H activities and fair events
· Copying, organizing, filing and inventory of program materials
· Collection and management of registrations, entries and other program data
· Customer service- distributing information and handling transactions with clients via email, mail, phone and in-person
· Assist with pre-fair preparation for contests and activities
· Office coverage and event assistance during county fair
· Other duties as needed to assist with preparation and delivery of Extension programs
· High School Graduate preferred; related work or education experience a plus.
· Ability to use Microsoft Office and other computer programs to accomplish office tasks
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; Interpersonal skills to interact with youth, adult volunteers and the general public
· Ability to organize data, information and resources in a way easily understood by others
· Licensed driver with access to a reliable vehicle, or ability to otherwise get to work and other programs/events independently
· Ability to lift and move materials up to 50 pounds, perform physical tasks to carry out hands-on learning in a variety of settings
· Able to satisfactorily pass Iowa State University Extension Background Screen
· Background/experience in 4-H or Youth programming helpful but not required
· Self-Directed- able to accomplish assigned tasks independently on a set schedule; ability to move from one task to another while maintaining productivity
· Able to display a positive attitude and commitment to the job on a routine basis
· Willing to be a productive member of Extension team, including office staff, volunteers, boards and committees, and other partners
Summer Program Assistants are supervised by the Cass County Extension Director; daily tasks may be assigned by Youth Coordinator, Office Manager or other permanent staff members. Accountable to Cass County Agricultural Extension Council and all applicable policies.
Mid-May 2023 (as available) to Mid-August 2023- will flex based on applicant’s schedule and office workload.
PAY AND HOURS:
Pay rate is $13.00+ per hour, depending on experience. Overtime will be paid for all hours worked over 40 in any week (Sunday-Saturday). Mileage for use of personal vehicle in the performance of approved duties will be paid at the current Cass County Extension travel allowance rate. Program assistants will be regularly scheduled for approximately 32 to 36 hours per week. Hours will increase around county fair (July 21-31, 2024). Most hours will be worked during normal business hours, Monday-Friday. Daily start/end time may vary with program needs. Flexible scheduling can be accommodated with advance notice.
COLLEGE CREDIT OPTION:
Cass County Extension will work to accommodate requirements from college programs to receive college credit for summer internships, to the best of our ability. Notice must be given prior to start of employment that student intends to earn college credit for position, including disclosure of all paperwork and other requirements, from the college, of employer for satisfactory completion.
For consideration, all applicants are required to submit a completed application form, current resume, and cover letter detailing interest and qualifications for position(s) applying for. Applicants not submitting all three completed documents will not be considered as candidates for interview. Mail/Drop Off applications to 805 W 10th St, Atlantic IA, 50022. Materials may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 712-243-1133. Questions? Please call Cass County Extension Director Kate Olson at 712-243-1132.
Details on Job Description and Application Form can be downloaded below or found at www.extension.iastate.edu/cass