Iowa State University Extension and Outreach - Buchanan County
Position: County Youth Coordinator
Appointment: Full-time hourly paid position.
Position Description: The County Youth Coordinator will focus on Positive Youth Development. Staff will work with youth, volunteers, and professionals to plan, implement, and evaluate a progressive series of educational programs and experiences that work toward multiple life skill outcomes (engaged contributors, outstanding communicators, effective leaders, and successful learners). This position will strive to empower youth to reach their full potential through youth-adult partnerships and research-based experiences.
Youth Development Program Management
- Utilize the Iowa 4-H Equation (website) in developing youth programming to ensure positive youth development
- Recruit and coordinate for state opportunities (state conference, awards, Iowa State Fair, Citizenship Washington Focus, state camps)
- Promote 4-H state and county programs, events, and activities, working with local partners and media, including monthly newsletter
- Identify and organize events and activities (including workshops, county fair, trips, contest, showcases, etc.) relevant to county youth needs.
- Administer needs assessments and evaluations to ensure quality programming from research-based curriculum; share impact reports with stakeholders
- Establish and coordinate a Youth Advisory Council (YAC). YAC is a group of volunteers, which guide the decision-making process for youth programing.
- Establish and coordinate a Youth County Council (YCC) group. YCC is an opportunity for high-school aged youth to gain leadership and other skills.
- Develop and implement year-round county recruitment and retention strategy
- Recruit and obtain sponsorships funds or grants for activities, events, or awards
- Organize and maintain a Volunteer Management System via ISOTURE (identify, screen, orient, train, utilize, recognize and evaluate) model
- Organize and lead training for volunteers
- Manage and support volunteers in assigned tasks and programs
- Delegate responsibility to volunteers according to strengths and interests
- Coordinate youth and adult committees and councils
Equity, Access and Opportunity
- Implement programming to attract new youth and adult audiences to address local youth needs
- Engage and recruit volunteers and partners from diverse backgrounds
- Network and build positive relationships with public and private program partners (schools, youth organizations, businesses, and individual), stakeholders, and youth and families to deliver high quality curriculum by ISUEO and other land grant universities
- Represent Buchanan County on local boards and committees which support youth opportunities
- Build positive relationships with other county, regional and state staff
- Maintain appropriate records and data; prepare reports as required (monthly reports, 4-H statistical, Plan of Work report)
- Maintain correspondence with 4-H members, volunteers, Extension support staff and the public which include: newsletters, news releases, emails, phone calls and written correspondence
- Manage and oversee enrollment registration of participants, including data base maintenance
- Implement all 4-H programs using federal and statewide policies and procedures
- Ensure a safe environment for participants though appropriate planning, volunteer screening, and risk management procedures
- Promote and market 4-H program opportunities
- Participate in county, regional, and state professional development opportunities and other educational opportunities based on individual needs; including county team and council meetings
- Maintain confidentiality with all staff and clients by implementing 4-H programs in accordance with state and federal guidelines and policies (use of name and emblem, releases/waivers, fundraisers/activities, insurance, civil rights law, child protection policy, risk management policies, etc.)
- Review and maintain program budgets with guidance of Regional Director by following county fiscal policy and procedures.
- Maintain correspondence with 4-H members, families, volunteers and the public.
- Any other related duties deemed necessary by the Extension Council and/or Regional Director.
- Ability to work and communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to take initiative and be self-directed
- Ability to work individually and collaboratively in an office environment
- Ability to demonstrate enthusiasm, leadership, creativity and marketing skills
- Possess good interpersonal skills to lead and interact with staff and clients
- Present a business- like appearance and attitude
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; adapt work load including some nights and weekends
- Ability to organize, prioritize and multitask
- Ability to be approved through ISUEO background screening
- Education: High School Graduate or Equivalent
- Previous experience working with youth and volunteers
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office Suite, Internet, Social Media, Design)
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience or knowledge in youth development, specifically 4-H
- Experience coordinating and organizing events
- Some night and weekend work required
- Will require some lifting and moving of boxes, tables and materials
- Position may require some physical activity
- Wage is commensurate with experience and education
- Paid holidays; Vacation/Sick Leave
- Health Insurance Package Available
- IPERS retirement fund
- Travel and mileage reimbursement related to business purpose
Employer: Buchanan County Extension District (Council)
Supervisor: Regional Director in collaboration with Extension Personnel Committee
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, Ames, Iowa, 50011, (515) 294-7612, email email@example.com.
For the full non-discrimination statement or accommodation inquiries, go to www.extension.iastate.edu/diversity/ext.