Iowa State University Extension and Outreach - Buchanan County
Position: 4-H Fair and Youth Educator Summer Assistant
Appointment: Part-Time Temporary Summer Assistant
Overview:. The 4-H Fair Assistant will support the County Extension staff in preparation for 4-H events at the Buchanan County Fair including communication, marketing, organization of fair materials, and general office duties. The Youth Educator Assistant will assist in the implementation of educational opportunities for the youth in Buchanan County with curriculum provided by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
- Assist County Extension staff with organizing and carrying out duties and activities in preparation for the Buchanan County Fair.
- Create communication and marketing materials for 4-H/FFA livestock shows, static projects, and other fair-related events including social media.
- Work cooperatively with the Buchanan County Extension Staff and Council, Buchanan County Fair board, and other associated organizations in the community.
- Learn and assist others with 4-H Online and Fair Entry databases.
- Provide relevant information to 4-H members, families, club leaders, livestock superintendents, and council members via email, phone calls, mail, newsletter, mail, etc.
- Take lead on a variety of Fair and summer events based on the selected candidate’s skill set.
- Handle daily phone calls and emails related to 4-H and summer programming with youth, parents, volunteers, and other professionals.
- Assist with curriculum and lesson plans for several 6-hour summer day camps.
- Work with county staff regarding registration and payment for summer camps
- Prepare and organize materials for summer camps.
- Represent Buchanan County Iowa State University Extension and Outreach in a positive manner and serve as a positive role model in the community to the youth.
- Meet with Extension staff regularly to review and discuss progress and performance.
- High school diploma
- Strong communication and writing skills including computer literacy
- Valid driver’s license and access to a motor vehicle with proof of vehicle liability coverage.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to work with youth
- Successful completion of background check
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Problem solving skills, organizational skills, and multiple task capabilities
- Ability to complete scheduled tasks on time
- Effectively communicate with all age groups
- Some night and weekend work required
- Will require some lifting and moving of boxes, tables, and materials
- Position may require some physical activity
Hours: Up to 40 hours per week (12 weeks maximum) beginning mid-May through mid-August
There will be flexibility with the above hours depending on the candidate's summer schedule.
Employer: Buchanan County Extension District (Council)
Supervisor: Buchanan County Director
Applications due: To be guaranteed for consideration, submit a current resume and cover letter to Kara Vance by email to email@example.com or mail to 2600 Swan Lake Blvd., Suite A, Independence, IA 50644 by Thursday, February 29, 2024. The position will remain open until filled. EOE/AA Employer.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, Ames, Iowa, 50011, (515) 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the full non-discrimination statement or accommodation inquiries, go to www.extension.iastate.edu/diversity/ext.