What information is considered private/confidential?
- Protected class- age, race, religion, sex, disability, etc. (refer to justice statement)
- Photos and videos if you do not have a release
- Social Security numbers
- Credit card numbers
- Banking information
- Background information (for employment and volunteers)
- Anything health related with people who do not need to know
- Personal addresses and phone numbers (PII)
- Personnel information
NOT JUST YOUTH - INCLUDES ADULT INFORMATION TOO
When you receive private/confidential information, consider....
- Do you need it?
- Do you need to keep it?
- Where do you keep it?
- How do you dispose of it securely?
- Are you following records retention policy?
What is my responsibility?
- To keep information private, confidential, and secure; obligation of every council member, employee, and volunteer
- To protect the safety and identity of individuals, especially youth
- To be responsible use when accessing systems, use of email, and use of social media
- If mishandled, there is not only organizational liability there can be personal liability
Examples of unsecure information sharing
- Google Docs
- Facebook private message
- Posting on webpage
- Social media
- Webinar recordings
Examples of secure information sharing
- Password protected documents
- Written permission to share contact information
- Only share information with people who need to know
What if information was shared insecurely?
- Call Extension IT, who will help to
- – Remove information
- – Report to the University if necessary
- – Secure devices
- Call Extension HR to discuss follow up
- Extension IT- 515-294-8658 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Extension HR- 515-294-1444 or email@example.com
- Iowa State University Data Classification Policy
- ISU Extension and Outreach Social Media Policy
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach does not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or status as a U.S. veteran. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Diversity Officer, 2150 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, Ames, Iowa 50011, 515-294- 1482, firstname.lastname@example.org. All other inquiries may be directed to 800-262-3804.