To change your Net-ID password, you'll need access to the iastate.edu network.
- Login to https://asw.iastate.edu
- Select Change Password
- Type in your Current Password
- Type in your New Password
- Type in your New Password Again
Passphrases are recommended as they add complexity and make it harder to hack your account. The Change Password page on https://asw.iastate.edu includes a random passphrase generator. You can select the number of words and the generator will copy the selected passphrase automatically to the Current Password entry.
If you have any issues or want help working through the process, contact the Computer Support Hotline at 515-294-1725 or firstname.lastname@example.org
When you change your Net-ID password, you'll also need to change it on your phone, your tablet, a second computer and any other location where you're accessing information. You will want to do this as soon as possible after you change your password so that your phone, tablet, etc. don't generate error messages.
Other Best Practices
- Change your password at least once a year. Every six months is recommended.
- Under Manage Net-ID there is an option to Set Cell phone number for 'text'-based Password Reset. This allows you to reset your password yourself (without calling the Solutions Center) if you forget your password. You will be asked to provide some additional information to verify your identity
- Long passwords and/or passphrases are an important protection. Avoid easily guessed passwords.