The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax preparation and electronic filing for low to moderate income Iowans.
Certified community volunteers prepare taxes with computer software and help with special tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or Disabled.
IRS VITA tax sites are located throughout Iowa and partner with organizations including Iowa State University Extension and Outreach offices in some locations.
To locate the VITA site nearest to you, visit the IRS website or call 1-800-906-9887 or 211 in Iowa.
The deadline for submitting federal personal income tax returns is now extended to July 15, 2020 and Iowa returns will be due July 31, 2020. The following VITA sites are currently closed.
- Allamakee County in Waukon - call 563-568-6345
- Bremer County in Tripoli on February 20 only – call 319-882-4275
- Butler County in Allison on March 12 only – call 319-267-2707
- Cerro Gordo County in Mason City - call 641-423-0844
- Chickasaw County in New Hampton - call 641-394-2174
- Emmet County in Estherville - call 712-362-3434
- Floyd County in Charles City - call 641-228-1453
- Hamilton County in Webster City - call 515-297-3717
- Hamilton County in Ellsworth on February 20 and March 2 only - call 515-386-4852
- Henry County at Iowa Wesleyan - call 641-954-0724
- Jasper County - call 641-792-6433
- Mitchell County in Osage - call 641-732-5574
- Palo Alto County in Emmetsburg - call 712-852-2865
- Poweshiek County in Grinnell - call 641-623-5188
- Sac County in Sac City - call 712-662-7131
- Shelby County in Harlan - call 712-755-3104
- Tama County in Toledo - call 641-484-2703
- Washington County in Brighton - call 319-653-4811
- Wayne County in Corydon - call 641-872-1755
- Webster County in Dayton on February 27 only - call 515-547-2711
- Wright County in Clarion - call 515-532-3453