The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax preparation and electronic filing for low- to moderate-income Iowans.
Certified community volunteers prepare taxes with computer software and help with special tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or Disabled.
IRS VITA tax sites are located throughout Iowa and partner with organizations including Iowa State University Extension and Outreach offices in some locations. Call the AARP volunteer tax preparers at 1-800-906-9887 to find a site near you.
- Allamakee County in Waukon - call 563-568-6345
- Black Hawk County - call 319-296-4278 (location is Hawkeye Community College Van G. Miller Adult Learning Center, 120 Jefferson St, Waterloo)
- Bremer County in Tripoli on March 18 only - call 319-882-4275
- Cerro Gordo County in Mason City - call 641-423-0844
- Chickasaw County in New Hampton - call 641-394-2174
- Emmet County in Estherville - call 712-362-3434
- Guthrie County - call 641-747-2276
- Floyd County in Charles City - call 641-228-1453
- Hamilton County in Webster City - call 515-297-3717
- Hamilton County in Ellsworth on March 2 and March 9 only - call 515-386-4852
- Jasper County - call 641-792-6433
- Johnson County
- Lee County – in Fort Madison - call 319-520-6859
- Mitchell County in Osage - call 641-732-5574
- Palo Alto County in Emmetsburg - call 712-852-2865
- Poweshiek County in Grinnell - call 641-623-5188
- Tama County in Toledo - call 641-484-2703
- Wayne County in Corydon - call 641-872-1755
- Wright County in Clarion - call 515-532-3453