Small Change: Building Financial Security is a personal finance course developed by ISU Extension and Outreach for city and county employees, educators, and other school personnel. The course focuses on making more informed decisions about financial management and building greater confidence to make small changes that can make a difference.
Thanks to a grant from the FINRA Investor Education Foundation, Iowa employers partner with Extension and Outreach to offer the course to their employees. Participants explore lessons that are timely and relevant to their stage of life. Lesson topics include:
- Finance Fundamentals—getting organized, smart borrowing, estate planning
- Insurance—the basics, life, health, disability, long-term care, auto, home, liability coverage
- Investing—risk tolerance, investment choices, funding long-term goals
- Retirement—preparing for retirement, Social Security, IPERS, building a nest egg
The course format requires participants to:
- Attend a 2-hour in-person introductory workshop.
- Complete at least 4 of 12 game-based online lessons.
- Complete a short assignment to promote financial literacy. (Educators can earn one Iowa License renewal credit.)