A self-guided training program for foodservice managers and supervisors who are interested in motivating employees to follow safe food handling procedures. The toolkit includes two modules: Communication to Motivate and Using Recognition and Discipline to Motivate.
- Take the Pre-assessment
- Complete the Communication Checklist
- View the Communication Presentation
- Read through the Case Studies and consider the case study questions:
Case Study 1 - Barry and Communication Barriers
Case Study 2 - Inconsistent Messages from Irma and Garland
- Review the resource Overview of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Take the Post-assessment
Recognition and Discipline Module
You will need Adobe Reader 9 or newer to view some resources. A free download of Adobe Reader is available on the Adobe website.
- Use effective (oral and written) communication to motivate employees to use safe food handling behaviors
- Identify ways to consistently communicate appropriate food safety behavior to employees
- Describe ways in which you can serve as a role model to employees using nonverbal communication
- Identify informal and formal disciplinary strategies and how they might be used as motivators
- Describe different ways to recognize employees who exhibit safe food handling behaviors