If you’re struggling with Parkinson’s disease or know someone who is, it’s helpful to know where to find support on the journey. Learn about the causes and symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, and how treatments work, as well as therapeutic activities to do at home.
Intended audience: Adults of any age
Format: Three 1-hour workshops
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and that persons with Parkinson's disease are an at-risk population, in-person delivery of A Journey Through Parkinson's Disease continues to be suspended.
Please check this page periodically for online delivery options.
Session 1: Symptoms | Seeking Medical Care | What to Expect | Diagnosis
Session 2: Causes of Parkinson’s Disease | How Treatments Work
- Making Neurons – demonstration of how to make a neuron using chenille stems
- How the Neuron Works (no narration) – see if you can pick out the parts of the neuron
- How Neurons Die – demonstration of what happens when neurons die
- Understanding Parkinson’s Disease – explore the latest in Parkinson’s disease research
Session 3: Alternative Therapies | At-home Activities and Tools
** Talk to your healthcare provider before starting new activities **
- Resistance Training 1 – exercises using hand weights for the arms and upper body
- Resistance Training 2 – exercises for legs and lower body
- Yoga – exercises that are part of a class that can also be done at home
- Boxing – activities that are completed in weekly boxing classes
- Marches and Bicep Curls – exercise with music, the most important thing to remember is to do all movements in time with the beat.
- Vocal Exercise and You Are My Sunshine – singing is exercise for smaller muscles to improve the voice, breathing, and swallowing