Healthy and Homemade...a nutrition calendar designed for novice cooks who want to stretch their food dollars.
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach is once again offering a nutrition calendar for sale to other universities and organizations. The 2021 calendar theme is "Healthy & Homemade" and is available in both English and Spanish.
Designed for audiences with low resources, calendars have been used in the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – Education (SNAP-Ed), Farmers Market Nutrition Education, and others.
The 12-month, 11"x17" full-color wall calendar:
- supports MyPlate messages
- helps families and individuals implement new eating and physical activity behavior
- features healthy, tasty, tested recipes rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
The calendar also will include space on the back cover where a sticker with information about your local program could be added.
Universities and organizations purchasing a minimum of 500 calendars will be listed on the back cover of the calendar, if orders were placed by the Friday, June 11, 2021 deadline. No organization logos or identifiers are used on the cover or inside the calendar. However, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach will be identified on the back cover as the originating state.
About the recipes
- Food safety is incorporated in the recipe steps
- Recipes feature vegetables and fruits, whole grains or legumes, and dairy products that often are not well represented in the diets of low-income families
- The recipes were analyzed using Food Processor® and adhere to Iowa State University Extension and Outreach recipe guidelines
- Reading level of recipes averages fifth grade as measured by the Flesch-Kincaid Readability test
- Clear instructions and simple words describe food preparation steps for new cooks
- Ingredients used are low-cost and readily available
- Only basic equipment and appliances are needed
- Each month shows a complete meal menu or a snack
- Space included for appointments
- Nutrition analysis looks just like package labels
- Inside back cover features a bonus recipe and information on making homemade pizza.
Calendar Orders and Payment Processing
Advance orders closed on June 11, 2021. After the deadline, a limited number of 2022 calendars will be in stock at the Extension Store at a cost of $3.00/calendar in late September 2021.
Calendars will begin shipping in late August/early September 2021. Please take the time to verify that the quantity of calendars received is correct. You will have 30 days from the date the order is shipped to make any claims. All customers will be contacted in September for payment processing procedures.
Ordering and payment processing questions should be directed to email@example.com. Please reference the 2022 Healthy and Homemade Calendar.
Placement of a pre-order constitutes your express agreement to purchase ISU Extension and Outreach calendars at the price and quantity specified. You represent and warrant that you are authorized to act on behalf of your organization in placing an order.