The American Dream is to own a home. Purchasing a home is probably the biggest purchase you’ll ever make. It’s an exciting experience and not a simple task. Lessons focus on preparing for home ownership, shopping for a home, securing a mortgage, closing the loan, and being a homeowner.
Intended audience: Adults age 18 or older
Format: Self-paced, online course
Certification: Homebuyer’s education course certificate (required by some home loan programs to qualify for a loan)
- Make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements.
- Enroll in the course to work towards A Place of Your Own.
- Earn a homebuyer’s certificate
When you complete all six lessons, you may take the final test. When you have 70 percent or more correct on the final test, you will receive a homebuyer’s certificate. Many home loan programs require completion of a homebuyer course to qualify for a loan.
- You may take the final test as many times as you wish—until you pass—at no additional charge. No two test will be the same because the list of questions is randomly selected for each test. When you pass the test, you will be able to print out a Homebuyer’s Certificate with your name on it.
- Complete the course anytime, anywhere
The course cost including the certificate is $45. You may access the course any time of day from any computer with Internet access.
Are you a housing lender?
Lenders may pay for the online course for their customers. Here's how...
Add the Homebuyer Education eCourse to your cart at the Extension Store and checkout. Specify these details during the checkout process:
- Course registration section - Enter the name of the customer(s) and the email address the customer will use to access the online course.
- Shipping section - List the customer(s) in the shipping section. The information from this entry will be the name(s) that appears on the certificate earned at the end of the course.
- Billing section - List the lending institution name in the billing section; do not click the "same as shipping".
The computer requirements to take this course are fairly easy to meet. You need:
- A computer made in the past four or five years, either Macintosh or PC
- Connection to the Internet
- E-mail address
- A printer to print out some of the worksheets and the certificate.
- Adobe Reader to open pdf documents including worksheets.