Presented by Iowa State University School of Education and Human Sciences Extension and Outreach, The Adventure Comes to You brings cutting-edge research from Iowa State University to the citizens of Iowa.
Diversity, Literacy, and STEM Education
Tuesday, June 29, 2021
Iowa Lakeside Laboratory, 1838 Highway 86, Milford, Iowa
Topics and Presenters
- Supporting STEM Engagement with Technology
Dr. Denise Crawford is a Professor and Director of the Center for Technology in Learning and Teaching at Iowa State University.
- Women in STEM
Dr. Sara Nelson is 4H STEM and NASA Space Grant Outreach Specialist.
- Applying a Critical Lens to Children’s Books
Dr. Constance Beecher is an Associate Professor in Literacy and a State Specialist in Family Life.
[Optional] Teacher Licensure Renewals and Early Childhood Contact Hours -- AVAILABLE FOR IN-PERSON PARTICIPANTS ONLY
- Teacher Licensure Renewal (15 hours) at a cost of $85 requires in-person attendance AND online participation before and after the workshop.
- Early Childhood Contact Hours (5 hours) are available for in-person participants at no charge.
Comments from past participants...
- 2019 - Latest in Literacy
Muscatine; 65 participants
- Getting a chance to talk to the ISU Professors in the breakout sessions was great. They know their stuff and were able to talk about current research relating to their topic. Do this every year!!
- I enjoyed the interactive nature of the day. I also appreciated the opportunity to have both large group and small group interactions.
- [I enjoyed] How everyone worked together on things, and seem to really enjoy the day. Learning even for continued education can be fun.
- I REALLY appreciate that ISU came to our community!
- Take away knowledge and hands on activities were great....
- Presenters were knowledgeable and good to hear from all the departments.
- Relevant topics presented in a concise manner.
- Took what could have been a very complicated topic and shared it in a very understandable manner.
- I was fascinated with Dr. Schalinske's presentation…made me want to go back to school and take his epigenetics class!
- I have had very little exposure to human genetics information, and learning about epigenetics is fascinating. My mother is going through chemo…I was able to find some studies…and I am preparing healthy foods for her to aid in her healing and my own!
- He got me out of my science comfort zone in an intriguing way. I learned a lot!
- Cutting edge. Thought provoking. Easy to understand despite being very scientific and complex.
- Alison provided practical information we can all relate to and provided a hands-on activity with the mindful eating exercise. Getting us to think differently about our bodies…retraining our minds to be more present so that we can hear our body's cues. I bought the workbook and I am working through the principles.
- How she made me think how I can eat or exercise not for losing weight, but for overall wellbeing of myself.
- Very personal, easy to understand, but firmly based in science.
- I just wanted to tell you that yesterday’s program was VERY informative. It would be very valuable to have more professors from the university come and “educate/update” those of us in Extension.
- WOW! What a fantastic day at Nashua this past Tuesday. The topics covered by Drs. Lanningham-Foster, Rowling, and Clark were expertly done and extremely well received. The presenters and staff made a difference in the lives of Iowans! I hope there will be additional Adventures to come.
- What an informative morning! As a retiree, it was stimulating to hear campus faculty share their expertise on relevant topics - food safety, food science, and behavior research. I really appreciated my adventure!